Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's non-cycling related, but I just saw this AP story about an NBA player kicked out of the league for drugs: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-hornets-andersendismissed&prov=ap&type=lgns

Here's the shocking (to me, at least) money quote:
According to the league's collective bargaining agreement, a player only can be disqualified for a fourth positive test for performance-enhancing drugs, or a first positive test for "drugs of abuse." Andersen has never been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs.
In other words, a basketball player can test positive for steroids three times and not get kicked out, but a single positive for cocaine gets him banned. Does anyone else have a problem with this? It seems to me that doping is damaging to the entire sport, whereas recreational drug use is (at worst) damaging only to the user himself.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
ari said:
It's non-cycling related, but I just saw this AP story about an NBA player kicked out of the league for drugs: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-hornets-andersendismissed&prov=ap&type=lgns

Here's the shocking (to me, at least) money quote:

In other words, a basketball player can test positive for steroids three times and not get kicked out, but a single positive for cocaine gets him banned. Does anyone else have a problem with this? It seems to me that doping is damaging to the entire sport, whereas recreational drug use is (at worst) damaging only to the user himself.

Cheers,
Ari
So it's OK to take drugs to get an edge on the opposition, but if you go to a party & have a line, that's bad? I bet Ullrich is glad he's not a basketball player!

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
They seem to have their piorities backwards. Performance enhancing drugs are bad for the sport, while recreational drugs are just a PR problem.

·
soulfly
60 Posts
drugs in the nba

Did anyone notice that they don't test for pot.the joke is if they did they would have to suspend 3/4 of the players

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Yep, crazy...

we all know how easy is seems to be to beat the tests, I imagine the NBA tests much less than cycling so you could go your entire career on drugs but not test positive. And can you imagine one of the big names ever comming up positive? No way, they don't even go to jail for raping women by the looks of it.

I am the staunchest anti-doper since Dick Pound and still think cycling needs to do more to fight drugs in the sport but the problems in other sports aren't even being looked at in comparison.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Their tests are a joke as are all the major US ones.

There was a big dispute a while back between the IOC and NBA about them having to submit to the same testing as the rest of the sports or not be allowed in the Olympics and I never heard what happened. I assume since they are one of the biggest money draws for the games that money won the argument. IOC: we won't let you play NBA: OK IOC: no wait you misunderstood!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
and if I was an NBA coach

my entire team would be juiced on EPO.You'd kill guys in the 4th quarter. Just no cocaine to celebrate after the game.;o)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts