Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there's at least two ways to look at this:

1. Cycling has more doping scandals than other sports because cycling does more testing and investigations than other sports. Look at track & field. No doping controls beyond the minimal stuff at the Olympics. Ergo, no one gets caught, and no scandals are seen. The ostrich approach. Many sports do this. So what message does the rest of the sporting world get? The more you test, the more you find, so test as little as you can get away with and still keep the public happy.

2. Cycling is the dirtiest sport on the planet. More guys are getting caught because more guys are doping.

Which side do you all come down on? Me, I'm in camp #1.

--Shannon

·
Banned
86 Posts
tube_ee said:
No doping controls beyond the minimal stuff at the Olympics. Ergo, no one gets caught, and no scandals are seen.
completely incorrect. Out of competion drug testing is very new to cycling and still barely used, Track&Field has had it for over 15 years.....You get a knock on the door an you have an 1 hour to pee in a cup. From Ben Johnson to THG Track has had plenty of drug scandals.

Cycling appears to have so many tests because they test 4 riders after every stage and they often test large groups of riders before and during most major races so their numbers look good. The large number of races every year contribute to this mirage of aggresive testing. The lack of aggressive out of competion controls in cycling has contributed to the current situation of system wide doping, the riders know how to insure they show up clean and with the proper levels to a race, but they also know they can do anything they want away from a race....only an idiot would get caught at a race, that is why so many stars trumpet the "Never test positive" mantra

Fuentes got his start in the doping world as the team doctor for Spanish track team, and was kicked out when his wife, a hurdler, tested postive. His wife got the positive overturned on a technicality, so Funtes knows if you just continue to lie you may escape judgement.

Rumored to be on Funtes list is a group of Kenyans who are managed by Jos Hermans, the Belgium agent and former world record holder.....and well know chemist

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
surftel said:
"Cycling appears to have so many tests because they test 4 riders after every stage and they often test large groups of riders before and during most major races so their numbers look good."

I'm not sure the blood tests of whole teams before stages are anything more than hematocrit tests. I don't think they actually test for drugs or look at blood profiles?

"Rumored to be on Funtes list is a group of Kenyans who are managed by Jos Hermans, the Belgium agent and former world record holder.....and well know chemist"

I always found it odd that many of the Kenyans lived in Italy or Germany and were coached by MDs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.