Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an interesting learning experience.

I was upgrading the wheelset on my wife's bike. I had taken the cassette of using the appropriate tools (i.e. lockring puller and chainwhip). I decided that I would not put the dork disk back on the new wheels because I've been really good with regular maintenance and don't expect catastrophic limiter failure. As I was checking everything over I realized that the rear der. limiters were off by one whole cog. The indexing was fine, but the low stop prevented the chain from shifting to the lowest cog, and the high limiter let the thing fly clear off the cassette. That lead me to check the dork disk and I realized it was cut and fit on the hub like a cog or spacer would. It then dawned on me that the limiter problem was exactly the size of the dork disk width.

At this point I have it all adjusted and running fine. I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced this? I suppose I'm not unique I've just never seen this before. I also wondered: Does this mean that if someone cut this type of dork disk off (as we all know happens) they would throw their chain off the high cog on their next sprint?:eek:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have no idea about all the mechanical mumbo jumbo as Ive not taken the time to learn it...but I would think that no one would be in the high cog if they are sprinting. yes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
logansites said:
I have no idea about all the mechanical mumbo jumbo as Ive not taken the time to learn it...but I would think that no one would be in the high cog if they are sprinting. yes?

I think sprinting in the high cog (smallest gear) is generally recommended.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dick

carbon13 said:
set it up propperly
ps spelling errors for everyone.
You are awesome! You give fantastic advice on how to fix a problem which no longer needs fixing AND you have never made a spelling error! Congratulations!!! I see that capitalization and punctuation is another matter...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I'm confused...I understand what your saying about the disk mounting on the hub but without it, how did you get the cassette tight?... If the disk acts like a spacer and you don't use it, the cassette will be loose

So far I can only see that it was affecting the rear der. I just replaced the lock ring using the standard procedure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am confused as well now. high cog makes me thing of the biggest cog (farthest one up...23/25/27etc) which is the "lower gear". As opposed to lowest cog (farthest one down...11 or 12) which is the "higher gear". So assuming you are talking about the higher gear... you wouldnt be anywhere near the dork disc.

unless we are not talking about the big plastic disc that sits behing the cassette?

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
If the shifing was correct with the old wheel then the old wheelset must have had a longer cassette carrier to accommodate the dork disk and it seems that the high gear (smallest cog) was further outboard on the old wheel than on the new one. I just looked at my D/A 9 speed wheel and I can't imagine the smallest cog closer to the dropout.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
logansites said:
I am confused as well now. high cog makes me thing of the biggest cog (farthest one up...23/25/27etc) which is the "lower gear". As opposed to lowest cog (farthest one down...11 or 12) which is the "higher gear". So assuming you are talking about the higher gear... you wouldnt be anywhere near the dork disc.

unless we are not talking about the big plastic disc that sits behing the cassette?

I think if you re-read the OP you'll see that the problem on the high end (smallest cog) was that the high limiter was allowing the chain to come off and get wedged between the cassette and the frame. So, my question was could someone cut off the dork disk and effectively shift the cassette closer to the hub so that the next time they went to sprint (i.e. high gear/smallest gear) it would fly off between the cassette and the frame. Make sense?

·
Registered
838 Posts
A properly installed dork disk should not be affecting the positioning of the cassette on the hub. It should not be acting as a spacer for the cassette. And if it was, I don't see how there would have been enough room on the hub to mount the smallest cog.

Bottom line is that I just don't see how this problem could have been caused by the dork disk.

·
Registered
577 Posts
cush45 said:
I think if you re-read the OP you'll see that the problem on the high end (smallest cog) was that the high limiter was allowing the chain to come off and get wedged between the cassette and the frame. So, my question was could someone cut off the dork disk and effectively shift the cassette closer to the hub so that the next time they went to sprint (i.e. high gear/smallest gear) it would fly off between the cassette and the frame. Make sense?

OH! Jesus Im an Idiot. See signature. (not sarcasm)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.