Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Double Butted???

824 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fredstaple 
#1 ·
I just purchased an old (70s era) Falcon frame. It was repainted and all the orig stickers are either gone or painted over. Anyone know how to tell if the bike was made from butted Reynolds steel or straight gauge steel.

I know the higher end frames were butted, but not sure which model this one is.

Thanks for any help you may have.

#4 ·
fredstaple said:
I just purchased an old (70s era) Falcon frame. It was repainted and all the orig stickers are either gone or painted over. Anyone know how to tell if the bike was made from butted Reynolds steel or straight gauge steel.

I know the higher end frames were butted, but not sure which model this one is.

Thanks for any help you may have.
double butted 531 sounds different than straight guage when you "ping" it. If you can find a known straight guage frame and a known double butted frame you can ping both of them then ping yours and you'll be able to tell for sure from the sound.

FWIW I've kind of decided that the whole double-butted thng was quite a bit of hype, and that for many bikes straight guage tube was as good as or better than double butted, and wieghed only about 200 g more.

#5 ·
What a great concept

Reynolds 531 thanks much as well as all others. I like the frame and what in the long run does it really matter which version of Reynolds the frame was made from, it will be fun to fix it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.