Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing LOTOJA (Logan, UT to Jackson, WY) again the first week of September. It's 206 miles with over 7,000 feet of climbing. Last year's race featured snow, eliminating over 60% of the field. I finished, but, quite honestly, the snow made me go slower, take breaks to get dry clothes, and finish in like 11.5 hours or more (I forget my exact time). I think the snow allowed me to finish, albeit in horrible agony through the mountain passes.

Last year, my training consisted of getting in two 70+ mile rides in each weekend, back to back. These rides would have 5-8,000 feet of climbing each day. Two weeks before the race, I put in a 120mile day with only moderate climbs, and a 70 mile climbing day the next day. During the week, I would ride 2-3 days at moderate mileage (20-45miles, usually moderate climbing less than 1500 feet).

This year, my training has started earlier, and I'm doing the weekly crit race as my intervals training. I did a 60 mile race the end of April (With disasterous results), and am back on my 2-ride weekend schedule. I train on climbs at LT, and even use some pointers from the Carmichael DVDs as far as climbing, etc.. I live in Salt Lake city, so I have both mountains of variable length/grade, and flats galore. I try group rides whenever possible. I am 29 years of age.

My question is this:

This is a LONG race, I have plenty of weekend time (thanks to a very nice spouse!), how do I go about getting into this kinda shape. All the double century crap on the web is for fat old people to finish the damn thing, I want to race the damn thing. I'm a Cat5. This ride is much different from a century, since the winning cat1 times are in the neighborhood of 8+ hours. Should I focus on ONE long, death ride every week (or every other?), or should the double high mile days consecutively help me more? I eat pretty well, use a HRM, but dont have a power meter. I ride with a team/club, but few others are doing the race.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Wouldn't the obvious thing be to do what you did last year, at a minimum?

I have no specific advice though, as my longest rides are 200km. That extra 70 - 80 miles is a whole other ballgame.

Good luck though, sounds like a fantastic race. Great area...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jaseone said:
Sounds like you are jumping right into the specialization stage of climbing and missing the first of the building blocks, that being your aerobic fitness.

Can you maybe spare like 1 - 2 hours each day during the week to just build upon your aerobic fitness?
I didnt specify this, but I did a lot of that in the off season, probably why my early season race went terribly (no big push / recovery ability).

But seriously, am I specializing too soon? What type of workouts would you suggest? My weekday rides typically are 40 miles of flat where I run below LT (about 155-165 BPM out of my 195 max). It's July, and I have basically 60 days till the race. How much of that time should I spend specializing?

My main question was about the big loads, meaning one Huge day versus two big days on the weekends? Or am I really doing that too soon? How much would be too much? I hate to say it, but maybe I need professional help, LOL.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Einstruzende said:
Wouldn't the obvious thing be to do what you did last year, at a minimum?

I have no specific advice though, as my longest rides are 200km. That extra 70 - 80 miles is a whole other ballgame.

Good luck though, sounds like a fantastic race. Great area...

I am doing that, already. But last year was an eye opener as far as intensity/duration goes. There are animals out there that are frisky after 150 miles.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm no expert, by any means, but if I was going to attempt this, I'd do a 50+ mile group ride, at a good speed, maybe on a Wednesday, then back to back centuries for as many weekends as I could, until the race. The other days, I'd baby myself with short, easy pace rides. Probably take Fridays off. Good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree with redliner, do some back to back long hard days. Also, after 3 weeks of this, insert a much reduced recovery week, ramp it up again, and have a recovery week before your event. If you like Carmichael(I do), get the Ultimate Ride book if you don't have it already. You'll still have to come up with the plan that works for you, but that book is packed with training concepts and knowledge. Also CTS does offer professional advice at many different levels-check out the website. Good luck on your event!

·
Registered
279 Posts
i don't race, but i am trying to improve my finishing time in doubles... best advice i found came from john hughes... sounds more like a fit guy than a fat guy to me...

seems to me that the main element you're missing is the incorporation of fast 100s and hard 150s in the month or two before your event...

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/training.htm

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bc165 said:
i don't race, but i am trying to improve my finishing time in doubles... best advice i found came from john hughes... sounds more like a fit guy than a fat guy to me...

seems to me that the main element you're missing is the incorporation of fast 100s and hard 150s in the month or two before your event...

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/training.htm

That's a great website. It doesn't give some table (like most) that says 40 miles tuesday, 50 miles etc.. I think I will work on the pointers such as doing BIG work every other weekend then doing two smaller (but still ridiculous) rides on the other weekends.

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woolbury said:
I agree with redliner, do some back to back long hard days. Also, after 3 weeks of this, insert a much reduced recovery week, ramp it up again, and have a recovery week before your event. If you like Carmichael(I do), get the Ultimate Ride book if you don't have it already. You'll still have to come up with the plan that works for you, but that book is packed with training concepts and knowledge. Also CTS does offer professional advice at many different levels-check out the website. Good luck on your event!
I should get that book, I have his nutrition book already and use about 50% of his methods.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woolbury said:

In addition, I am taking this coming week off for a mch needed vacation. I'll be riding a much slower pace with my spouse and doing some hiking in Glacier NP. I hear it is spectacular up there, so who knows, maybe I'll end up with a few big rides anyway, LOL.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.