Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I picked up cycling this year and love it. The "odometer" of the year is almost 2,800miles, did twice a century ride (solo, second time I did it in 7hr15min), each time I felt totally fine.

Now I want to do a double century next year, I live in Switzerland and plan to go from Zürich to Geneva (320km).

I currently own a Merida Scultura 5000 and although is still great i'd like get a new bike, and for the moment I am stuck between Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 and Specialized Roubaix Expert 2017.

Canyon is a race bike (with raving reviews on comfort, great for climbing - as expected Switzelrand has plenty of hills) and is almost 2 kgs lighter then Roubaix and comes with dura-ace

But Specialized has the future shock suspension, has a better resale value and comes with ulterga.

Which of the two would you advise and why?

Many thanks,
Dorin

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
If you're going to attempt a double century, you really need to test ride some bikes to determine which is most comfortable for you. You can wear the most thickly padded shorts and run the widest tires at the lowest acceptable pressures, but after 200 miles the frame material, geometry, and fit are going to matter greatly.

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
I agree with SauronHimsel, the brand of bike itself will make little difference, but the fit can make or break any endurance ride. But...most of the time you can tweak a bike to fit as long as it starts out close to being correct for you.

Keep in mind the long term uses of the bike, if you can only buy one bike I wouldn't buy a bike suited for one specific type of riding. ie; a great endurance bike might be a dog on your typical weeknight rides in the hills, or that bike with the light frame may beat you to death on a century or double.

And why consider resale value? You're never going to sell it! When you decide you "need" another new bike you will keep the old one as the back up, or the back up to the back up, or your rainy day bike, or your trainer bike, or pass it off to your kid, or keep it for parts. But sell it? Never! Shame on you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your message made me laugh and point out the obvious, indeed why sell it, I'm not under any financial pressure.

Bike fitting I agree is mandatory, it will be absolutely done.

The debate I have in the end is not about the brand is more about what contributes to an "easier" 200mile better: a bike with front suspension (aka smoother ride) or less 2kg, aiding the climbs (the route will have an accumulated overall 3'000m climb)

I start to lean more and more towards the lighter bike...

Cheers,
Dorin

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
You are trying to compare two totally dissimilar bikes.

Either you want an endurance bike or a race bike, it's not which one is better. And to base your buying decision on one ride is short sighted.From experience, by the end of a double century you are not going to be particularly fond of either bike, especially with so few miles under your belt. There is a world of difference between 100 and 200 miles. Double the distance but the suffering is increased by a whole order of magnitude.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Try a super long ride on your current bike and ask yourself what you want to change about it if you were to go further. Then look for that in a new bike.

Stop focusing on weight. I have a 15 pound bike and a 19 pound bike and would take the 19 pound bike every time for rides over 120 ish miles. Comfort is way more important than a few pounds over long distances.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Buy based on comfort. 3,000m over 200 miles is not that hilly.

Add a Trek Domane to your list. I find mine very comfortable and still a capable climber.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
The Specialized would have a better re-sale value? Seriously?

And I completely agree with Ewitz's post.

Go ride everything you can get your hands on then go buy a Time Fluidity or a Look 695. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Echoing several people here, I think most important things are bike fit/body position, wide tires at lower pressure, and frame geometry (I don't know the Canyon, but I'd hate it after 150 miles if it's twitchy). All of these matter more than weight or DA vs. Ultegra.

Good luck on your ride! It sounds beautiful.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Test ride both for an hour with tires aired up a tad higher than you think you normally ride and see which is most comfortable. Since your current bike was comfortable for the Century, I'd say it's important to get each set up similarly your current bike before the test rides which might mean a stem change etc.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You could also look for an "in-betweener" model like the Bianchi Infinito. There are many others similar. I have two stems for mine and will change out for rides that will be much longer in duration.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The Canyon due it's simplicity. I like the way they engineered the seat post and clamp area to be more compliant than normal. The light weight can't be ignored. The integrated stem/bar shape is another comfort bonus I prefer.

My thoughts on the Specialized are it's sort of over engineered for most road riding. I guess if you are planning on riding more dirt, gravel, or cobbles then possibly the Roubaix but, I keep thinking if you need all these springs, needle bearing, elastomer rubber sealed seat post thingy to ride on the road maybe you should not be riding on the road.

Again just me.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
From what little you said you have a brand new bike with only 2800 miles on it but you do not care for it due to unknown reasons. Now you are trying to decide between a Racing bike and Comfortable bike suitable for rough terrain.

I guess I would say possibly continue to ride you current bike for a few years until you know what style of bike you would be interested in. I would think that 10,000 miles on your Merida bike should give you the experience to decide on your next level of equipment.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
...all these springs, needle bearing, elastomer rubber sealed seat post thingy to ride on the road maybe you should not be riding on the road.
Agree with your sentiment. I think the suspension the OP is talking about is a fork steerer/ head tube contraption allowing the handlebar to move up and down. IMO, an old gimmick that has been resurrected for marketing reasons. I suppose for miles and miles on cobbles, it could make some sense.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
He wants the Canyon! so he is comparing it to some POS cruiser bike. Just get the Canyon and go ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts