Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Endurance suitable wheeels: ZIPP 303 Firecrest or Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL

hi there,

my aim for next year is to complete a double century, 320km, between Zurich and Geneva (act 3`0000m combined climb), I'm upgrading to a new bike: Canyon Ultimate SLX with SRAM eTap but with Ultegra crank-set.

i`m just stuck at the wheel selection:ZIPP 303 Firecrest or Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL

ZIPP 303 Firecrest great for climbing, no more heating issues from what i heard, i won't benefit much from reduced drag as i average abt 24-26km/hr

Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL: super light, exalith braking

on the other hand the ZIPPs are regarded as best all arounder, but is it worth the difference? please note i do not race, i just enjoy long rides (in summer my almost daily commute was about 100km per day: 17 to go to work and 80 on the way back), i`ve done 2x Century with decent time

many thanks for your opinions.

Cheers,
Dorin

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I have a set of 303's and 202's. I consider the 303's as climbing neutral to slight negative as they are little heavier than a strictly lightweight wheel but you will definitely get an advantage on a descent with these. I consider the 202's as the best all around wheel; much lighter, a little bit aero. From what I remember of Zurich your topography is rolling hills with some pretty stiff climbs - somewhat similar to where I live. If the 202 is an option, in your place I would go for that. I love both of these wheel sets, but the 202 is the one I would pick if I could have just one.

I don't have any knowledge of the Ksyriums other than what I just looked at from their website. I tend to like wheels better if they use "normal", i.e. non-proprietary spokes, as they are easier and generally cheaper to replace. Zipps use Sapim CX rays.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a mil for the tip! i need to dig deeper to see the difference between the two, as the price is identical :)
and yes you remember it correctly, rolling hills from spitting your lungs out to going down with 85km/hr (and that is in the zurich area, only 462m above sea level, not up in the mountains)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick question: is overheating still an issue or is this a thing of the past?
Cheers,
Dorin

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
my aim for next year is to complete a double century, 320km, between Zurich and Geneva (act 3`0000m combined climb), I'm upgrading to a new bike: Canyon Ultimate SLX with SRAM eTap but with Ultegra crank-set.

i`m just stuck at the wheel selection:ZIPP 303 Firecrest or Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL
Whatever you finally choose, just understand that the best aero wheels on the planet will save you about 7 minutes in that 320 km compared to 32 spoke wheels with box section rims. In the mountains, I would be most worried about crosswind stability.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Just a quick question: is overheating still an issue or is this a thing of the past?
Cheers,
Dorin
It hasn't been for me but my descents aren't very technical and it's rare that I have to work the brakes hard. FWIW I use the Zipp pads on one set and Swiss Stop Black Prince on another, both are good.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honestly, it's not going to matter. You won't be any less tired at the end whether you choose one over the other. Pick the ones that make you look the fastest.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.