Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know alot of bikes use Double Crank.
And I've seen more bikes with OPTIONAL Triple Crank.

Now I am a newb at Cycling. Truthfully, so what should I get? Double or Triple?
What are the advantages and disadvanatages over double? triple?

Thanks.

· Reality Star
930 Posts
Newb + Climbing = Triple

You won't regret it on the steepest climbs. I live in the Sierras and the triple comes in handy. Someday when you are really awesome, you will get youself that ultra-chic, uber-light racing bike with a compact crank to save a few grams. Until then a triple will make those steep climbs less torturous.

· Registered
619 Posts
BoootyHoIe said:
Yes I live at San Francisco. Daly City to be exact. Yes Its hilly though.

Of course, I will be riding on this hills daily, and racing too! As in going up and down these hills really fast with my uncle.
If you ride in a competitive group, or race, you need what the other riders have. For me that means a compact double. I can get the same range as a triple, and I don't need to worry about crossing the chain or missed shifts on the front. When I ride alone, I ride a single speed, and it's just as fast, or faster, than my race bike for most trips.

em

· Registered
238 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
My knees like a triple and my ego likes a double. If you are just getting into it, maybe a triple. Once you are stronger and ready for the super bike, a compact gear set?
This is why I mentioned the other pieces. If you don't have money to burn eddie m mentioned a good option. Try a few demo bikes. Mikes bikes let you take em out for a spin.

· hello
3,395 Posts
jorgy said:
If you have to ask . . . get a triple.
Exactly.

After you've ridden for a while and know your fitness level you'll be able to make most all gearing decisions yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.