Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to order a new SRS-2 from Flyte. I have shopped ALL the LBS and found nothing that I felt that was worth the money. My question is should I get the SRS-2 with a triple or double crank. Because they are over stock with the triple in my size, it is $200 less. Every thing is same except for the crank; the triple has an Ultegra 52-39-30 with a 12-27 cassette while the Double is a FSA SLK Carbon MegaExo 53-39 with a 12-25 cassette. I am leaning to the Double because that is all I need (in live in South Florida and can you say FLAT!). I currently ride most of the time in the middle gears (trying to work up to faster cadence).

So I would like some feed back from the members of this forum on their thoughts on which is better and WHY. I want to order the bike this Monday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well if there are no big hills in your riding future then the decision is easy, get a double! I live ion Houston but have a triple as I know I will be riding through mountains later in the year but often when riding around here I wish it was a double as I find myself in the big ring and small cog with leftover power I could be using.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I agree, mostly...

There's no reason for a flatlander to have a triple, but I don't understand the big ring and small cog reference. My 53/12 on my triplei s the same as a 53/12 on a double. Having a 52 big ring is a trivial difference. If you're on flatland, then change to an 11T smallest cog.

·
Registered
28 Posts
NaplesTopless said:
I have decided to order a new SRS-2 from Flyte. I have shopped ALL the LBS and found nothing that I felt that was worth the money. My question is should I get the SRS-2 with a triple or double crank. Because they are over stock with the triple in my size, it is $200 less. Every thing is same except for the crank; the triple has an Ultegra 52-39-30 with a 12-27 cassette while the Double is a FSA SLK Carbon MegaExo 53-39 with a 12-25 cassette. I am leaning to the Double because that is all I need (in live in South Florida and can you say FLAT!). I currently ride most of the time in the middle gears (trying to work up to faster cadence).

So I would like some feed back from the members of this forum on their thoughts on which is better and WHY. I want to order the bike this Monday.

Thanks.
They aren't overstocked, they are closing out that frame and replacing it with a new one. I called a couple weeks ago to find out what the deal is. The changes to the new frame are as I remember, top tube is 2.x cm higher on the seat tube and better more durable paint. I was wondering if the new frame has a different paint scheme...not that the one they have currently is bad at all. I guess in a way it's overstocked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does that mean the only one left of the old frame are the 56 and 58 triple, because they are the only ones that are reduced? I did notice that all the but the 56 and 58 had the FSA crank while the reduced ones had the Shimano crank.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Gee, wonder why they are overstocked?

Could it be that they pulled the plug on all the LBSs' that were selling their Airbornes and left them high and dry? I still like my Airborne, I'm still not understanding the move.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Here is a reason.....

C-40 said:
There's no reason for a flatlander to have a triple,
You have one bike, you never train on hills, but occasionally you travel (or want to) to do hilly rides. If you didn't have a triple, how would you ride anywhere else.

I live in the flats.....but have a 50/39/28 on my main bike. This way I can take the bike I love anywhere. When I'm home, it just never goes in the granny. Otherwise, it's great for the alps, the dolomites, the blue ridge parkway, the Tour DuMontes (a 3 day 300 mile ride up into the appalachians I've done a couple of times.

If the person is always going to ride in the flats I'd agree with you.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts

·
building my engine
163 Posts
NaplesTopless said:

Thanks.
I happen to live in South Florida as well, and I have yet to see a hill steap enough that I can not climb with a double crank. Even if I'd live in hilly country, I'd still chose double crank over triple, the later adds more weight to the bike and it is aesthetically displeasing.:)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Alter Ego said:
I happen to live in South Florida as well, and I have yet to see a hill steap enough that I can not climb with a double crank. Even if I'd live in hilly country, I'd still chose double crank over triple, the later adds more weight to the bike and it is aesthetically displeasing.:)
I think I'd find it more aesthetically displeasing being dropped because I wasn't geared low enough. :p
Yeah, I have a triple, but It's also pretty hilly where I ride.

Lou.

·
Banned
476 Posts
$200

NaplesTopless said:

Thanks.

if it is actually $200 less - I would go with the triple - it does not hurt anything to have a triple - and someday you may decide to go on a vacation with your bike in the rockies - you never know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with the triple and save the $200. This is based upon my assumption that the frames are the same, however if GBP is correct and the triple is on last year frame then I might get the double but I am worried about problems I have read about with the FSA SL-K MegoExo crank and the triple has an Ultegra crank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
NaplesTopless said:
Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with the triple and save the $200. This is based upon my assumption that the frames are the same, however if GBP is correct and the triple is on last year frame then I might get the double but I am worried about problems I have read about with the FSA SL-K MegoExo crank and the triple has an Ultegra crank.
Actually, that's something I was looking at too. It seems there are a lot of issues with some of the FSA cranks coming loose, at least if you read the reviews here. Shimano did recently (?) come out with a compact crank but it's a little heavier. I'm a newb, so I barely know what I'm talking about! :eek:

·
building my engine
163 Posts
NaplesTopless said:
I'd just want to let you know that should you want to upgrade one day, you may have to change the whole shifting system. You'd basically be pretty much stuck with triple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course if I go with the double and later need the triple I still would have to change the same items, right. I know I will never use the small chainring but to save $200 which I can use to upgrade other items on the bike seems like a good idea, so long as the frames are really the same.

·
Registered
414 Posts
GPB said:
Honestly, I suspect that this line of business for them won't be long for the world. They were getting more recognition when they were getting Airborne into the LBS (which is where I got my Blackbird). I hate to say it, but after a few conversations with the people at the new and improved Flyte, they are full of it. They really don't seem to really give a rats a$$ about the Airborne loyals, and just want to get more people into the Flyte's. I even had one staff member try to tell me that the SRS-2 is absolutely not anything similar to the Blackbird, that they are 2 completely different bikes. Sorry, beg to differ... down to the mm, the geometry and materials are all the same.

As much as I love my Blackbird I probably won't buy from Flyte as their customer service did not impress me one bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
KonaMan said:
Honestly, I suspect that this line of business for them won't be long for the world. They were getting more recognition when they were getting Airborne into the LBS (which is where I got my Blackbird). I hate to say it, but after a few conversations with the people at the new and improved Flyte, they are full of it. They really don't seem to really give a rats a$$ about the Airborne loyals, and just want to get more people into the Flyte's. I even had one staff member try to tell me that the SRS-2 is absolutely not anything similar to the Blackbird, that they are 2 completely different bikes. Sorry, beg to differ... down to the mm, the geometry and materials are all the same.

As much as I love my Blackbird I probably won't buy from Flyte as their customer service did not impress me one bit.
Wow...I was thinking about getting a Flyte. I've contacted them twice via email for sizing and product inquiries and talked with them once. They are located about an hour from me and was planning to go visit them to see the product before ordering. In what WAY are they "full of it"? How have they abandoned their customers? I thought the SRS-2 frame was new (from reading) and they said they are changing it for 2007 (which as I understand is just a couple weeks away). Can you show the geometries of the two bikes? If this is true, I don't want to deal with a bunch of liars. But they do have some positive reviews and seemingly happy customers.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.