Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Albuquerque NM, i'm buying a new road group and i'm not sure which crank i should get??? This is my first road bike, I do allot of mountain biking. I will be riding in the mountains. Will buying a double make me a stronger rider?

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Well

rusty4x said:
I live in Albuquerque NM, i'm buying a new road group and i'm not sure which crank i should get??? This is my first road bike, I do allot of mountain biking. I will be riding in the mountains. Will buying a double make me a stronger rider?

If you are a strong mountain biker, you may get by with a double, most stronger road riders will only ride with a double. That being said, if you are a newcomer, and are not a strong mountain bike rider, a triple may be right up your alley. I personally choose a compact. I get the benefits of both then.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
If you think that grinding in a high gear will make you a stronger rider, you can simply choose not to shift down. But with the triple or compact, if you run into a hill that's unexpectedly steep or run out of energy on a long ride, you will have the low gears if you need them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're buying a road bike you may also wish to consider a compact chainset. This is a double but with smaller (and therefore easy to turn) cogs on. A normal chainset wiill have a 39/53 set of cogs and a compact usually a 36/50. If you live somewhere hilly this can be a nice compromise by being a 'proper' roadie and running a double but without struggling on the hills too much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A no doubter in my mind, but.....

Triple, Triple, Triple!!!
I have been riding competitively a few months and can affirm that eric is right. If you think you don't need it, you will regret it when you do. I just got through a 50 mile RR, and wish I had that 3rd little puppy at my first real climb. With that being said, it is true that strong riders (which I am obvoiusly not, yet) tend to use dual, and dual will suffice. But the words Albuquerque and mountains rang out in your statements, and that is all I needed to proclaim----triple, triple, triple. But don't take my word for it, ask you LBS in your area....there is very little incentive for them to lie about it. Make sure they tell you about teeth, because danny is right too!!!
Best of luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
rusty4x said:

1. If you don't do a lot of hills, or the hills around you don't have a very steep grade to them, then you don't need the tripple, you could go standard or compact double.

2. Only one thing will make you a stronger rider. Ride more. The double, the Dura Ace, the Madone 5.2, none of that means squat if you're not spending time in the saddle. The more you ride, the stronger you will get... period. Learning to spin correctly, proper position, good consistent cadence, that makes you stronger.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Here in Alamogordo, NM

I went up to the mountains last weekend.
At 32, 6 foot 190lbs, I'm not ashamed to say I used the granny ring and was wishing for granny's mom :D

IMHO from what I've learned here, unless you are already a serious competitive rider, then get a double.

If this is your first road bike, then IMHO you are not ready for a double, based on what I've seen in ALB

If you are serious and want to be competitive, then this won't be your first road bike.

Go with the 3 rings... :)

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Tiny downside and lots of up with a triple

That's hilly country there, similar to Reno, where I live. I rode for nearly 20 years with a double, climbed everything around here--but when I bought my Atlantis, Rivendell talked me into a triple crank, and I've been glad since the first day. You'll hear that triples shift less precisely, but...jeez, how hard is it to shift a front derailleur? I can't remember ever missing, and I'm friction, not indexed. The weight is negligible. Put on a triple, but before you do, take off that useless 30t granny and replace it with a 26 or 24.
NOTE: Be sure it will shift with that little ring first. My driveline is a combination of parts from the bin, and it works fine. Might be a problem if you have some carefully engineered gruppo designed by Shimano to require complete replacement rather than $14 worth of new parts whenever something goes wrong.

·
Registered
359 Posts
rusty4x said:
Will buying a double make me a stronger rider?
No. Putting on the miles and pushing yourself will make you a stronger rider. What the triple will do is give you a wider range of gears from which to choose. What the double will do is prevent any feelings of inadequacy that might develop because the people on this forum will make you think you should have such feelings.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Triple vs double?

What is more macho to do on a BIG hill facing you after 50 mi of tough riding?

A. Ride up on a double
B. Ride up on a triple
C. Walk up on a double

Following the traditional rule for multiple-choice test questions, the correct answer is more likely to be 'B'.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have yet to figure out why, if there's a choice, people pontificate over whether to get the triple. Get the triple. It gives you a "4x4" gear for going up the steepest climbs, and it's not like it affects your ride when your not using it. The granny gear weighs 60 grams or something.

I thank god I have it on this one hill on my route that is *vertical*. Everyone with the doubles either walks up it, or grinds it out in painful 20 rpm mode. I just sit back and spin up it.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Unless your ego can't stand it (or you enjoy suffering), get a triple. Your knees will thank you later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Double is plenty for me, but I had to switch from 12-24 to 12-27 on the rear cogs. I normally ride flat to rolliing hills, but I have ridden Trail Ridge Road in the Rockies and when I used the 27 and if I went any slower I would've fallen over---and that was when I was a beginner.

More gearing increases indecision and mistakes in shifting IMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Double Double

I know a lot of folks will disagree with this, but I'm a fairly new rider of average ability - not average pro - average Joe/Fred with hairy legs and all - and I ride some fairly good climbs in the mountains of central PA on a double with no problem.

Also - a triple, in my opinion, isn't worth the trouble of having to remember just how far you can go when you are on the top or bottom chain ring before you've got your chain in a bind and bad things start happening. There is also a good deal of overlap in the gearing and I don't think you get enough additional low gears to justify it.

A double is just more simple in my opinion and provides plenty of range.

Try riding both and see how they feel. If the triple doesn't bother you and you want the lower gears, go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been riding mtn for 3 years and road for 5 months and I just traded in my my triple for a compact double. The shear simplicity of the double is the only way to go. Granted this was a shimano triple that forced you to trim on the middle ring and downshifted to the small ring too easily. Here in the Appalachains a compact is the perfect triple replacement. I wish I had switched sooner.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
jaektaylor said:
I know a lot of folks will disagree with this, but I'm a fairly new rider of average ability - not average pro - average Joe/Fred with hairy legs and all - and I ride some fairly good climbs in the mountains of central PA on a double with no problem.
Maximum elevation state of Pennsylvania: 4862 ft.
Climb from Rio Grande to Sandia Crest in Albuquerque: 5500 ft.
Thanks for playing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.