Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is best when cars are waiting to pass your group? Two abreast or single up?

I lead a weekly ride for my local club. We typically have 15 -25 riders in the sub group I lead. We ride on suburban roads, some of which have a moderate amount of traffic, trying to get home from work. Riding two abreast is legal in our state. I assume it is the same in all states but not sure. Last year we went "all in" for the two abreast, double pace line thing. Our club sent videos around of why it's better to ride that way, faster to get around etc. One of the challenges for our sweeper is when he yells "car back" everyone doesn't tighten up. We talk about this until we are blue in the face.

Was talking with two very experienced ride leaders tonight from another club. Both are very experienced cyclists, former racers and cycling advocates. They said they are going back to "single up" in a lot of situations. They said, number one, they are having trouble getting their groups to tighten up enough and single up is an easier command to get to work. But, number two, they both agreed that in the perception of car drivers, two up was still being rude. They said they had found better results with "single up". And, it just seemed like common sense to go back to it. So, they are using double pace lines except on roads where they are regularly encountering cars, then they will ride singe for those roads or those situations where cars come up from behind.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A double paceline isn't riding 2 abreast. It's 4 abreast.
Were you confused or did you get OP's meaning? This needs to go to the paceline forum anyway.

I would go with single file for the reasons stated in the OP. Also, what about drivers getting mad waiting for the group to tighten up into double or single file?

But the real answer is that some drivers just get mad because someone on a toy is getting in their way and causing a 15 second delay in their life.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i think single is better for the reasons stated. It's interesting. Our club got an angry email from a motorist about a group of 10 - 15 of us who were riding on a country road. The email claimed we were three abreast. We were riding single file, but not real disciplined. Some were just to the right of the fog line, some were to the left at various distances from the line. From the back, as the car was approaching, because of her depth perception, it appeared that there were three abreast, when it was just single file riders not staying in a nice straight line. I don't know what the solution to that is other than a stronger willed group leader making it clear to try to avoid that.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
2 abreast is better for both the cyclists and the motorists (as much as they may complain about it).
It is safer for the riders as they are more visible and it is better for the motorist as they have half as far to travel to overtake the group.
The safety of my group is far more important to me than the hurt feelings of some motorist.

·
Mad-one...
356 Posts
Riding two abreast makes the distance that a car has to pass 1/2 as long. This has to be considered. 4 riders in single file is the same length as 8 riders 2X2. This is why we prefer riding 2X2 especially on roads where there are many blind corners. We are easier to see and they have a much shorter passing time. Just a thought...

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Riding two abreast makes the distance that a car has to pass 1/2 as long. This has to be considered. 4 riders in single file is the same length as 8 riders 2X2. This is why we prefer riding 2X2 especially on roads where there are many blind corners. We are easier to see and they have a much shorter passing time. Just a thought...
Snap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As cyclists, we all know this, and it's legal in most states, but unfortunately, we are the vulnerable minority, and no amount of PSA's or other campaigns are going to get that into the head of some motorists, who believe they have a god-given right to own the road.

I also lead a weekly group ride. We mainly stick to rural roads and ride two-abreast. However, when we encounter traffic we generally single-out, especially in no-passing zones. Even then, we occasionally incur the wrath of Mr Angry motorist rushing to get the last Cruller at Krispy Kreme.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
2 up all the time - singling up encourages motorists to try and pass by squeezing between us and oncoming traffic.

As far and being perceived as rude - **** em. Im sick of "Im the most important person in the world folks", unless I literally stop and stand by the road people like that would not be happy, hell even then they would be mad I was there in the first place.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
But as cxwrench pointed out - a double pace line means four-wide... unless the guys on the front stay there the whole time. Coordinating a double pace line rotation is tough enough with a mixed group (vs. team, club...) and doing it with passing traffic could get sketchy.

·
Registered
20,820 Posts
Riding two abreast is legal in our state. I assume it is the same in all states but not sure.
No it's definitely not the same in all states.

Large groups should double up (if legal). In a paceline, a bicycle plus 1ft gap is ~6.5ft.
25 cyclists single file take up 162ft. That THREE tractor trailers! There's very few roads where a car can safely pass three tractor trailers.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No it's definitely not the same in all states.

Large groups should double up (if legal). In a paceline, a bicycle plus 1ft gap is ~6.5ft.
25 cyclists single file take up 162ft. That THREE tractor trailers! There's very few roads where a car can safely pass three tractor trailers.
In the case of a large group of over 25 cyclist, there should be some breakup, groups of 4 to 5, or at least 2 groups. And pick good regroup points.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
2 up all the time - singling up encourages motorists to try and pass by squeezing between us and oncoming traffic.

As far and being perceived as rude - **** em. Im sick of "Im the most important person in the world folks", unless I literally stop and stand by the road people like that would not be happy, hell even then they would be mad I was there in the first place.
^^^This, the longer the line the more tempted the driver will be to put the squeeze on to get past. If we're entitled to the lane, we should take it.

"They" ain't gonna like us anyway.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Were you confused or did you get OP's meaning? This needs to go to the paceline forum anyway.

I would go with single file for the reasons stated in the OP. Also, what about drivers getting mad waiting for the group to tighten up into double or single file?

But the real answer is that some drivers just get mad because someone on a toy is getting in their way and causing a 15 second delay in their life.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
In the case of a large group of over 25 cyclist, there should be some breakup, groups of 4 to 5, or at least 2 groups. And pick good regroup points.
No thanks thats even worse. I would hate to be in the 3rd or 4th group the motorist has to pass after they are good and mad.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I prefer double pace lines but the advancing, retreating line type of double line. A constant rotation, two wide. Like mentioned before, a single line encourages drivers to attempt to squeeze by.

Intentionally breaking up a group to spread it out just pisses off the motorists. If riders get dropped, then they can group up and work together, but an intentional splitting doesn't help anything unless you're talking about groups leaving on a ride with time splits between them.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
I prefer double pace lines but the advancing, retreating line type of double line. A constant rotation, two wide. Like mentioned before, a single line encourages drivers to attempt to squeeze by.

Intentionally breaking up a group to spread it out just pisses off the motorists. If riders get dropped, then they can group up and work together, but an intentional splitting doesn't help anything unless you're talking about groups leaving on a ride with time splits between them.
That's not a double paceline, it's a single. See the illustration in post #12, that's a 'double'.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Double pace line. It reduces the distance the driver has to pass by 50% or more.
It removes the option to pass unsafely in lane.
I have been in group rides were leaders push to single. I will push the pace line into center of the road because they have to change lanes any how.

My SAFETY trumps motorist conveniences.
now single pass line still allows rotations but you need to ride in the center of the lane to remove the in lane passing.

Problem is most cyclist do not understand what single pace line really means. They stupidly will ride as far to the right as possible. Hence why I have gotten into arguments with some of the leaders saying double is better as we are not rotating in those sections any how.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Michigan allows us to ride 2-abreast, and there's no provision requiring us to single-up when cars are behind. Still, most drivers expect it, and will often hang back and blow their horns waiting for us to do so. Ditto with moving over onto a paved shoulder. The problem is, when we do it, we reinforce in the driver's mind that we *MUST* do it, even when it's not safe for us. That's what prompted that State Police trooper to ticket the cyclist in Michigan recently - he wrote the ticket with no knowledge of what the law actually said, he just 'knew' that bikes were supposed to get the h*ll off the road and out of his way.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.