Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to apply some trick white, gel bar tape to my sled. Thinking of going over the existing black that's on there. Anyone else doing double bar tape? My bars aren't like super thick or anything, just standard issue 6061 aluminum bars.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've never done it, but why not try it & see if you like it? How much work is it to remove it if you don't like it?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
ashpelham said:
I am getting ready to apply some trick white, gel bar tape to my sled. Thinking of going over the existing black that's on there. Anyone else doing double bar tape? My bars aren't like super thick or anything, just standard issue 6061 aluminum bars.
How wide are your bars? I use wide-ish bars so I generally have just barely enough handlebar tape to do the job. I'd be afraid that another layer might be just anough to cause me to come up short.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ashpelham said:
My only caution would be that I always carefully inspect the bar for any pitting from sweat or other damage when I remove the bar tape. If you do a search on this site you'll find a picture of some badly pitted bars that weren't all that old. If the first layer hasn't been on all that long or you are sure the bars are in good shape, go for it! Let us know how it works out. It would seem that the extra cushion would be nice at about mile 111 of a double metric.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've tried thick tape on road bikes and very thick grips on MTB (rigid singlespeed - you do the math) in an effort to get things more comfy...and then I tried thinner tape/grips. Oddly enough, I find the thinnest tape I can get to cause the least achiness. I don't quite use Benotto ribbon, but the normal Deda tape I have on my road bike right now is too thick. YRMV.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
ashpelham said:

Have it on my cross bike!

I find it easier to control through technical sections if its as thick as my mtb bars!

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
An alternative is to take all the tape off. Inspect your bars. Wrap a layer of old inner tube on the bars and then put on your final bar tape.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Give it a try. It's not like it costs a lot.

FWIW, my wife says that a double wrap of tape around her wrist and ankles heightens the experience for her....

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Used to do it

ashpelham said:
I'd have to wrap the first layer quite tight to keep the bars from becomming as thick as the business end of a baseball bat. The problem with applying the second layer is that it creates a very lumpy/irregular wrap. The valleys inbetween the overlapping wraps gets very deep while the rest tends to sit up high. You wind up with several randomly placed pressure spots all along the length of the bars.
One layer is plenty. Any more and you start to feel like your holding a pair of full rolls of toilet paper.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Used a layer of gel-tape over cork tape for last cross-season. Didn't end up liking it, too thick and I didn't really need the padding. Switched back to 1 layer of cork after a month.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,449 Posts
Another method of double wrapping is to use cotton bar tape, or hockey tape as the underwrap. You can regulate just how big in diameter you want your gripping areas and the outer tape can look as clean and smooth as ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts