Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some insight on the Doval All in One chainring set? The set can be had for $45-60 but competitors sell for about $120-190. Not that one would need the “dura ace” of asymmetric rings but that’s a pretty cheap price..
Have been thinking of potentially switching chainrings and installing an oval/asymmetric chainring. At first I wasn’t sold on the idea. But many report an ease in climbing and overall better rhythmic syncopation with their cadence. With that said many of these riders end up switching back to circular chainrings, of this population most report an even easier time climbing and a gain in power.
Would this shape of chainring be good for training? It seems to teach you the rhythmic motions needed to pedal in complete circles. Plus if you notice an ease with circular rings afterwards, then would switching back to circular rings for racing/group rides be a hidden advantage. Assuming you has done the right training that is.

The crank arm in question is the tried and true Shimano 105 5800. I guess to sum it all up. I’m worried about this chainset being a POS where I should have stayed with the 5800 rings. For $45-60 its worth an experiment, but a waste of money is a waste :-\

Does anyone have experience with the Doval All in One?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Have been thinking of potentially switching chainrings and installing an oval/asymmetric chainring. At first I wasn’t sold on the idea. But many report an ease in climbing and overall better rhythmic syncopation with their cadence. With that said many of these riders end up switching back to circular chainrings, of this population most report an even easier time climbing and a gain in power.
Would this shape of chainring be good for training? It seems to teach you the rhythmic motions needed to pedal in complete circles. Plus if you notice an ease with circular rings afterwards, then would switching back to circular rings for racing/group rides be a hidden advantage. Assuming you has done the right training that is.
No experience to report other than that in my 50 odd years riding bikes I have seen oval chain rings come and go at least three times. I also know that the first patents were in the 1890s. It makes you wonder why they never become popular, doesn't it? At least it should make you wonder. Beware the placebo effect. And confirmation bias.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts