Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raced crits and RR's for the past couple of years with no TT's. Saturday, I am racing a RR at noon followed by a TT start time around 4 which will leave me an hour and a half to two hours to sit around and try not to get stiff. I was wondering what you guys do to not get lethargic or tired especially from a eating standpoint. Ill probably try to keep it pretty light but get my sodium and potassium back up. Low food volume with high glycemic number. Any suggestions or protocols?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,413 Posts
Cool down for at least 30-45 minutes, riding very easy.
Warm up for at least 45 minutes, starting easy
Eat in the "cool down" period.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
What he said...

MR_GRUMPY said:
Cool down for at least 30-45 minutes, riding very easy.
Warm up for at least 45 minutes, starting easy
Eat in the "cool down" period.
What he said, with a few additions that have worked well for myself over the years.

After the RR is done, get back to your car, get a recovery type of drink, and some sort of food substance, bring a sandwich or something like that. Grab food and drink, get back on the bike to cool down. During cool down phase of the program, drink said recovery drink, and eat said recovery food. About 30 minutes give or take a few is going to be enough probably (GO EASY during the cool down, I mean, really easy).

After you're done cooling down, get off of the bike and prop your feet up somewhere that is comfortable, maybe take a nap, or maybe eat a little more (depending on what you've eaten already and or how long you have before the TT). A nap does wonders. I find that I can fall asleep pretty easily right after riding or racing, so an hour catnap ain't a bad idea. Stay off the feet.

The only thing I'd do different than what Grumpy said would be to NOT warm up for so long for the TT. I'm thinking 30 minutes should be more than adequate, since you've already raced once, your legs are already primed, just have to knock the slight cobwebs out of them, and then roll off the start ramp and TT.

Also important, make sure you drink water when resting between events, enough to stay well hydrated. Don't drink anything else.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
yup to above +

stretch and massage
between cooldown and warmup stay off the legs.
I'm yet to try it but i've been told putting your legs up high for a min. then standing gets a good flush for the blood. Repeat it a few times... My guess is that is hogwash but i doubt it would do any bad...

and did you stretch? Do it again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
change of routine

Ill have to deviate from the standard gig of standing around the finish line and talking for 45 min. We also stand in back of the officials and watch the replay of the finish and beg for placement. If I eat to much it will be all over after a 2 hour wait.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,413 Posts
Standing around for an hour will turn your legs into concrete. That's Ok as long as you are just going to drive home and have your legs hurt that night. It's even Ok if, the next day, you are just going to ride for miles, instead of racing. (if you are into pain)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts