Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke my left STI Dura Ace brifter and can't really afford to replace it. I remember a few years back that Armstrong ran a downtube shifter with Dura Ace 9. Is there anyway to a run downtube shifter on a bike not designed for downtube shifters? If so, where would I find the proper bracket to mount a front shifter to the downtube of my Cannondale CAAD 5?

Thanks

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
no boss? you could run a bar-end, or d/t on a kelly take-off or paul thumbie. doubt there is a band der mount for a large d/t

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Not really if the bike doesn't have downtube shift bosses...

You could run bar end shifters. Shimano makes them for 9 and 10 speed and they cost about the same as downtube shifters
Haven't I seen clamp-on DT shifter bosses somewhere? I could swear I have.

A Kelly Take Off would work, if you can find one.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Quality Bike Products has clamp-on bosses, but they don't fit fat tubes. Downtube shifter Cannondales have the bosses attached to a cross-tube threaded rod, wich means three holes in the downtube. Not sure if you want to do that; also not sure if the CAAD 5 downtube diameter would allow you to fit one of these kits. I'd consider a bar-end shifter.

http://fr.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/kitlist/CA.1.2.1.ShifterBosses.pdf

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
FatTireFred said:
no boss? you could run a bar-end, or d/t on a kelly take-off or paul thumbie. doubt there is a band der mount for a large d/t
Paul Thumbie mounts are readily available. But I've found them awkward for shifting a FD.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
OES said:
Haven't I seen clamp-on DT shifter bosses somewhere? I could swear I have.
They are still available (probably NOS) for steel frames with non-oversised tubes, but a CAAD5 DT is approaching the diameter of a beer can and I'm not sure I would want to clamp anything to one.

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
They are still available (probably NOS) for steel frames with non-oversised tubes, but a CAAD5 DT is approaching the diameter of a beer can and I'm not sure I would want to clamp anything to one.
No kidding. I managed to not notice the CAAD5 mention.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
actually left side STIs can be found pretty easily... how about a 1x9 or 10?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
FatTireFred said:
actually left side STIs can be found pretty easily... how about a 1x9 or 10?
good point and when you consider any of the other shifting options will require a new left brake lever too, it might not be much more..

Check eBay for a used left STI lever...It doesn't have to be Dura Ace

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've heard quite a few reports from people who ran DT-shifters without braze-on bosses or the like. And they all stayed put on their own with a bit of torque. The problem might be to find a band to fit a Cannondale downtube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts