Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I bought a very nice looking CAAD9. It looked very clean, it rode nicely, everything worked, so I paid my money to the seller and took the bike.

While inspecting the bike the next day I noticed a sizable dent on one side of the downtube about 1" from the headtube join. It was not on the bottom or both sides, but the left side. While inspecting the bike initially I had felt the bottom of the top tube and the downtube to see if there had been an impact (I do so with every bike I examine) but somehow I missed this dent.

I called the seller who claimed to have never seen this and also assured me the bike had never crashed.

I took the bike to two reputable bike shops for examination and both stated that the dent wasn't worth worrying about.

I'm sorry, but I am one who cannot help but worry over a dent in an aluminum frame. One of the LBS was willing to give me a generous trade in on a Gunnar Roadie, so off the CAAD9 went.

Am I too anal in worrying over a dent in aluminum?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got a few dents on my Cannondale Optimo. The mechanic at my LBS said that the downtube wasn't a critical area and said it was no big deal.

Best bet would be to contact Cannondale and get their opinion.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I'd rather have the Gunnar too...

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Look at the old Slingshots. Their designers figured out that the downtube is always in expansion (edit: correct word- tension, thanks to BentChainring), and doesn't require a lot of strength, so they replaced it with a wire. I wouldn't worry about a dent there. Most bikes are way overbuilt in that area. If you have a catastrophic failure and end up on your face I didn't just say this. If you have a catastrophic failure and end up on your rump and winning $10 grand on America's Funniest Home Videos I get half.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
As California L33 said, A downtube is always in tension. Dents in your top tube, or seat stays can cause catastrophic buckling since they are in compression (still highly unlikely), but dents in tubes put into tension are only a concern from a (very) High Cycle Fatigue type mode.

Dont sweat it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts