Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating on finding a used pair of 9spd wheels to replace my current no-name Alex 7spd's. Once I find a rear derailleur and all, there is no way I'm paying for STI brifters. My option is downtube shifters.

I have a steel bike, so I feel a bit more comfortable about drilling into it than say other materials... Other than new cables/housings and the downtube shifters themselves, what other materials/parts will I need?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just what I thought... Those little Square bosses that the shifters go onto are not a current thing on my bike.

I currently have "clamp-on" shifters on my threaded handlebar stem. I have not found anything but "falcon shifters"

yet I have not been able to find out whether they are capable of supporting 9spd.

I'm still looking for alternatives to STI due to price and bar-ends, well... due to my lack of interest in them. (Sorry Dave Hickey) Do they make clamp-on downtube shifters? (You would think that Surly/Soma/some other wonky company would have something like that...) I know I'm asking really off the wall questions but bear with me...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"it should be relativly cheap to have braze on bosses added to your frame."

Not really....The paint will be burned off by the brazing. A frame that has stem shifters isn't worth the expense of the cost of the brazing and repaint.

To the OP. unless you have a small tab brazed on the down tube, clamp on downtube shifters may slip, and screw up the paint.............

·
24,573 Posts
I've got one of those bone shakers.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I've got one of those bone shakers.
Same here, can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it. Medium blue 3.0 so-called "Criterium" with that Tange rock-hard steel fork, two sizes too small, 53 x 50 front (spinning, what's spinning?) goes around crit corners by itself. Many good memories from way back when. :)

·
24,573 Posts
Mine is even older than that. (Pre 3.0) 1986, I think. First year they made a "racing" frame.

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
Didn't a company named "Problem Solvers" make clamps to go onto the down tube for bikes without shifter bosses? Have you tried JensonUSA, Loosescrews, Orange Velo or Rivendell to see if they still carry these or something under a different name? Also, I agree with Dave Hickey, go with bar-end shifters, they last a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.