Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding a pair of downtube friction shifters for my commuter bike. It has Shimano 6 spd & rear der., but I think most any brand will work all right. I have indexed downtube shifters on it now, and they really shift like crap. They're also next to impossibe to trim.

Anybody know where I can find some?:confused:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I'm having trouble finding a pair of downtube friction shifters for my commuter bike. It has Shimano 6 spd & rear der., but I think most any brand will work all right. I have indexed downtube shifters on it now, and they really shift like crap. They're also next to impossibe to trim.

I got some on eBay for $4 last week.

·
Registered
455 Posts
what's the difference?

I have down tube shifters on my 1970's Motobecane bike. I got this bike in pieces and am trying to put it all back together. whats the difference between the two shifter mentioned above? I found some friction downtube shifters on ebay for 8 dollars. If those are better than what I have I'll buy them. How can I tell is the shifters I have are friction shifters?

Links

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Indexed shifters "click" when you shift gears. Many have a little dial that allows them to be indexed or switched to friction. Friction shifters don't click and depend on your "motor memory" to know how much to pull or push to shift in the desired gear. Friction shifters rarely require "tuning" because there isn't a fixed position for a specific gear.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
links0311 said:
So if I had to pick then the friction shifters would be the better choice? I have never ridden on a bike that has down tube shifters.

Links
edited.... just to clarify - friction and indexed shifters can be stem mounted or down tube mounted. Down tube shifters are not necessarily one or the other.

Everyone's preference is different, my order of preference would be:

1.) Integrated shifters aka STI, Flight Deck, Brifters
2.) Indexed DT shifters - as long as they are in tune
3.) Friction shifters - they are very simple, very light, and need little maintenance. They also have a history in racing so some people like them. IF you always seem to have chain rub on your derailleurs and can't or don't want to tune them then friction shifters allow you to make the micro adjustments so that you don't have rub.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
I might have some for you--free

Mr. Versatile said:

I bought my son and old Panasonic 2000 DX with 6 speed downtube shifters. I replaced the freewheel with a 7 speed hyperglide and put on barcons. I think I might have kept the 6 speed shifters--they worked fine. If you PM me I'll stick them in the mail.

The 7 speed hyperglide freewheel and indexed barcons is a real nice, inexpensive upgrade.

Friction shifting on my bike with a modern 8 speed cassette and a Deore derailleur is incredibly easy--I can't seem to miss a shift or make the chain jump. It's not at all like Friction shifting with the old 5 speed freewheel on my other bike which takes a little skill and is more fun.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:

These are GUARANTEED to get you chicks BY THE TRUCKLOAD:

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/shifters_derailleurs/17101.html

The Shimano Exage downtube shifters are much cheaper, and I'd bet a nickel that you can switch between index and friction mode. Go to:

www.nashbar.com and look up sku #SH-EXG8.

You might want to do some research to make sure that the 8-speed Exage DT shifter has both settings. I'm 90% sure it does, but...

That said, I have never seen a set of 6-speed, indexed DT shifters that did not have the ability to switch back to friction mode. Check out your rear shift lever. See if it doesn't have a screw that you can turn back and forth between friction and index modes. If I remember correctly, you need to loosen a D-ring, turn the screw to the desired setting with a flat-head screwdriver, then tighten the D-ring back up. Keep in mind that, at 42, senility is creeping up on me, so my advice might be completely wrong.

Finally, if you cannot find anything else, I've got a bucket of old DT shifters in the garage. I may be able to fish out a complete set this weekend. Let me know if you need it.

Yours,

FBB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.