Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dr Scholls at MalWart?

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  froze 
#1 ·
I was at MalWart today and saw the Dr. Scholl's foot analyzer there.
If you don't know; you stand on a pressure pad and it recommends one of many custom insoles for you.

The insoles are arch-to-heel, cost $50 and there are about a dozen sizes.

There's no way these are better than the high-zoot inserts from a podiatrist but they are a lot cheaper.

Anyone try these? I have a high arch and bet they would really help in my cycling shoes.

#6 ·
My SO and I both got pairs awhile ago at WalMart in Grand Forks. They do seem to help, we both work in places with concrete floors. Walking on concrete all day is a killer.

I don't think they would work in cycling shoes. The insole is not a full length one, it only goes under the back two thirds of my foot. In cycling you apply force only through the front part of your foot, mostly over the pedal axle. And the cycling action does not correspond to the walking model the analyzer uses.

#7 ·
Thanks Cin, that makes sense.

I have a high arch with not much support in my shoes. I think I'll try them just for the arch. I imagine they will help walking in my everyday shoes even if they're not so useful in cycling.

I worked as a machinist most of my life so can relate to standing/walking on concrete all day!

#11 ·
Way overpriced for what they do. X-Mart also sells inserts for specific areas of foot support for a fraction of the price. Use the analyzer, find out where you need support then buy the much cheaper inserts for that purpose. Not as sexy or cool, but I'd rather keep $35 in my pocket than have dubious bragging rights.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, the advice has been really helpful!

I'll try some of the stiffer and cheaper inserts instead of the $50 gels.

And now that I think about it there must be a podiatrist at the VA hospital. I'll call and schedule an appointment; won't hurt to consult an expert.

#13 ·
I made that mistake once with the pricey inserts, never again. Now I use the much less expensive gel inserts in my Five Tens and I couldn't be more comfortable even if they were custom made (tried custom made shoes too, lot of money for not a lot better results).

Reactions: tihsepa
#14 ·
Does that machine also detect hyperuricemia?

I have nothing against shoe inserts.... I have a pair of gel inserts in a pair of shoes I really like the looks of. But the shoes aren't very comfortable... without an insert. I had bought the gel inserts anyway.... back when I was having problems with my feet. That is sorta how I got back into cycling.

My feet had become progressively sorer until I could barely walk. I bought a used bicycle just so I could get outside and get a little fresh air.

I also mentioned the problem to my doctor. He explained a little about gout and uric acid to me. I was very lucky that this was detected before there was any real damage. And.... I am completely fine now.... no foot pain or problem what-so-ever.

Sure.... there isn't anything wrong with a foot insert. But feet aren't supposed to hurt! With or without shoes or inserts.

#16 ·
I have flat feet too, and lately one of my feet have been giving me issues, so my doc said to try a Dr Shoe...err that's Scholls, so I pay my $50 and get set for my feet, they did nothing! Of course you can get your money back within 30 days if it doesn't work for you. So I have to go to a foot doctor when I get insurance again.

#17 ·
IME the heat moldable insoles don't provide enough support, especially if you have moderate to high arches. The heat molding process mashes the arch of the insole down to where it is when your weight is fully on the foot, and in a cycling shoe you need more support than that. The thing about esoles is that you can choose among four different heights of arch support and two different metatarsal pads to get it right. They've made a huge difference for me and I now have them in all my cycling shoes. The dynamic and supportive esoles are essentially the same, but the foam footbed in the dynamic is slightly thicker, and the supportive comes with one higher arch support--I have high arches and that one is too high for me.

eSoles — Products

#18 ·
My wife bought a pair because she complained about foot pain while doing aerobics at the Y, but the sole did not fit her shoes, so we had to return it. The only good news is, Walmart was very easy with the return, no hassle at all. Beside on the packaging, dr. School guarantee satisfaction, or money back. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try, just 2 trips of gas to walmartthat you'll be spending if it doesn't work for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.