Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this nonsense. Just what is needed, something for folks to be looking at on their handlebars while in paceline. I hope they are kidding about this.

http://primeaire.com/

And $189. Yikes! They have to be kidding.
 

·
100% torqued
Joined
·
766 Posts
I can see the clown with this thing on his rig jockeying all over the place trying to find the sweet spot behind the guy in front of him. Wasting energy doing that and f-ing with everybody else around him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
KJohnson said:
Check out this nonsense. Just what is needed, something for folks to be looking at on their handlebars while in paceline. I hope they are kidding about this.

http://primeaire.com/

And $189. Yikes! They have to be kidding.
that looks sweet!

I hate guessing whether I'm off by a foot or would be better anohter few inches over, where the crosswind is coming from.

Does it really work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Honestly, most riders have no concept of wind direction and drafting. They just ride close to the wheel in front of them. How often do we ride into a true headwind? To get the most benefit of the draft, you have to be in the optimum position. Some people don't get it.

I think it could be useful to a coach of new riders. Put it on their bikes to help them understand the effects of wind direction and drafting. After a couple of rides I think they would get the concept and have no need for the device.

While I think it a cool training tool...at $189 a pop, I think it is a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Cheaper alternative:

Tie a piece of light string or yarn to your handlebars. Leave a tail of sorts maybe a couple inches long. The tail of the string will point opposite the direction of the wind. Keep the string in line with the rider in front of you. If the string points back to your left, stay on the left side of the rider in front of you.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this and do not know how effective it will be. I am not responsible for long tails of string becoming caught in moving parts and causing a crash. :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
The same trick from 50 years ago, was to tie a small piece of ribbon (3-4") to your stem.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,102 Posts
biknben said:
Honestly, most riders have no concept of wind direction and drafting. They just ride close to the wheel in front of them. How often do we ride into a true headwind? To get the most benefit of the draft, you have to be in the optimum position. Some people don't get it.

I think it could be useful to a coach of new riders. Put it on their bikes to help them understand the effects of wind direction and drafting. After a couple of rides I think they would get the concept and have no need for the device.

While I think it a cool training tool...at $189 a pop, I think it is a joke.

You are so right about some people being clueless. I was on a fast group ride last week with all experienced riders and we were moving at a fast pace. We were on a back road with the wind quartering in our face from left to right. I tell the guy in front to move to the left, next to the center line (it was a low traffic straight road so no car problems) so we could all use the pulls better and get in the sweet spot. He didn't have a clue and kept hugging the right edge of the road, but when the guy in front of him was pulling and was all the way on the left side in the lane he didn't hesitate to draft back and off the right side of his wheel as did everyone else in the small group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
biknben said:
Cheaper alternative:

Tie a piece of light string or yarn to your handlebars. Leave a tail of sorts maybe a couple inches long. The tail of the string will point opposite the direction of the wind. Keep the string in line with the rider in front of you. If the string points back to your left, stay on the left side of the rider in front of you.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this and do not know how effective it will be. I am not responsible for long tails of string becoming caught in moving parts and causing a crash. :rolleyes:

I read the patents on the uspto.gov website. They stressed the impraticality of using a sock like on boats, in that during rainy weather - it would become soaked and useless.
 

·
Doesn't like subtitles
Joined
·
3,808 Posts
Look at the picture

The pic in the upper corner on the website. Not exactly a fast-moving paceline!

Sailboats use little ribbons called telltails (sp?) to help adjust the trim on the sails. Sounds like the ribbon on the stem concept but I'm not sure if it works as well on bikes since as long as you're moving your relative wind is always a few degrees directly from head on, except in the case of very strong winds.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
The same trick from 50 years ago, was to tie a small piece of ribbon (3-4") to your stem.
Right. The only problem with that is that it isn't nearly expensive enough.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
I will wait until they have either a full titanium or carbon fiber version....or with an added heart rate monitor option....

The Flash...unaffected by wind....
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
The Flash said:
I will wait until they have either a full titanium or carbon fiber version....or with an added heart rate monitor option....

The Flash...unaffected by wind....


Garmin will have one in next year's Edge 405....... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Yaw string

Used on every sailplane canopy in the world. Cost+ a 3" peice of string and a little tape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
biknben said:
Cheaper alternative:

Tie a piece of light string or yarn to your handlebars. Leave a tail of sorts maybe a couple inches long. The tail of the string will point opposite the direction of the wind. Keep the string in line with the rider in front of you. If the string points back to your left, stay on the left side of the rider in front of you.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this and do not know how effective it will be. I am not responsible for long tails of string becoming caught in moving parts and causing a crash. :rolleyes:

That must be real effective going downhill at 80km/h! :D
 

·
No pain, no pain.
Joined
·
168 Posts
What do you need that for? When I draft, I just make sure that my front tire is right next to the rear hub of the person in front of me. Which side of the wheel I'm on depends on which way the wind is blowing. It's not rocket science.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
The Flash said:
I will wait until they have either a full titanium or carbon fiber version....or with an added heart rate monitor option....

The Flash...unaffected by wind....
Me too. I can't afford the 24 gram weight penalty that hucklebuck thingamabob would bring.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Matno said:
What do you need that for? When I draft, I just make sure that my front tire is right next to the rear hub of the person in front of me. Which side of the wheel I'm on depends on which way the wind is blowing. It's not rocket science.
Matno, meet Pavement. Pavement, Matno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome!!!!!

Can I PLEASE get one that with a rooster and a north arrow like to one on my barn?

Dude I am so in, sign me straight up!

;)
EM
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top