Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who have tried both Phil Wood hubs and Shimano hubs:

I own a Phil Wood rear hub myself and have ridden it for 10000 miles so far. The bearings are very smooth, but compared to a Shimano hub, they have more drag when turning the axle with my fingers. I can't tell whats happening when you are actually rolling. I don't own a bike myself having Shimano hubs so I can't compare the rolling resistance. I know for sure that Chris King hubs have a huge drag (I own a Chris King front hub myself) and people complain about that.

So to those of you who have tried both (or even CK hubs) is there are difference in resistance? Are the Shimanos just spinning for a longer time?

Regards, Lucas

· wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
None of what you are concerned with matters. I have Shimano, CK, PW and other hubs on my bikes. They all feel different in the hands, but on the road are excellent. You are feeling the difference in the drag of the seals which is imperceivable on the road.

-Eric

· Registered
214 Posts
You're also feeling the resistance of the bearings against the retainers. However, that (along with seal resistance) is relieved when there is a load on the hub. It's not just that it's not a significant amount of resistance -- it also is designed to perform best under load, not loose in the hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.