Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I am sure I have not seen it all....but tonight was eventful and the Little Man was right in the middle. They played a team that has two kids that would be best described as "instigators." Anyway, the Little Man was having none of it and was as physical as I have seen him all season. He ended up in the penalty box due to some after the whistle nonsense.... The game was a bit out of control.

Some of this chaos was due to the fact that they had 2 kids refereeing the game that had to be 14 and maybe 16 at best. They blew a few calls early and appeared flustered after that. The crowd on the far side didn't do much to help this with their cow bells and screaming.....:rolleyes:

Anyway....the game ended in a tie....and after going through the line, the Little Man and 3-4 kids from the other team started going at it. All three of them followed him to the door as he was skating off the ice and one tried to trip him with their stick and that was it........

It was crazy to watch.... The refs and coaches broke it up fairly quickly......but the worst part, their crowd was cheering it all..... We are not at a AHL or NHL game.....not even an adult game..... This is a game of kids that are 11 & 12....you do not cheer fighting....:rolleyes:

I was VERY proud of my son and have always told him that I better not ever hear of him being a bully.....but if anyone ever tries to hurt him, he has free reign to let the fists fly. That said, I would never cheer this as it was happening.....

Well....not Gordie Howe....but he did have a goal and a fight.....

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
I thought fights were what hockey was about.
Great pics. Looks like a good time.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
342 Posts
I loved reffing games.
Playing Hockey you can’t back down. The better you are, the more the other
team tries to cheap shot you. Had one guy go after my knee 3 times. After the
third attempt I let the guy get behind me with the puck, chased him down where
my teams bench was, grabbed the back of his helmet and slammed his facemask
into the post where the glass started again. For a minute I thought I broke his
neck. OOPS! LOL I was 15 and some Jackazz is going to take my knee out and
I would have to limp for the rest of my life. F’k him – if he does not like how I will
defend myself he should stay home.
Another time a guy but ended me so I used my stick like an axe and drove it down
on to the top of his helmet. He went down hard and got up dazed. Three of his team
mates jumped the boards and came after me. Not one of them got within the length
of my stick of me. The cheaper you play me the more brutal I act.
Had a ref call a BS penalty on me, the 7th for my team. So I figured that if he wants
to make himself a part of the game I will deal with him to. The next penalty he
awarded my team I iced the puck along the boards. Man that slapshot was moving,
dinged the ref 2 inches above his belt on his left side.
What a great game!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OldRoadGuy said:
Great pics.

Dave Hickey said:
Great shots.....
Thanks and thanks!

I love taking photos @ the games. I am able to give the kids & parents a steady supply of photo memories of the season....and I think the kids take notice when the camera is out. They are always asking if I got this hit or that goal.....:) Added bonus, it all comes at the bargain basement price of free.....

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Question for hockey experts: what's the point of the fighting?

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
lemonlime said:
Question for hockey experts: what's the point of the fighting?
There is no point. The game is just so intense and so emotional that sometimes it just happens. Usually, it is the 18-19 year olds right out of high school who are not used to to the "rubbing" of a no check league and they get a little P.O.'d and go after somebody. I refuse to fight. Believe me, sometimes I want to, but I have to work in the morning.

In my men's "C" division (BEER LEAGUE) game the other night, some little guy decides to take a swing at the largest guy on the ice, who just happens to be on my team. He starts throwing down and my buddy beat the living hell out of him *you should have seen his face) then he called the rink the next day and says he was going to press charges, after HE started the fight. He was about 19, 5'5" 150 lbs, and my guy is about 33, 6'4" and 325+ lbs.

The rink kicked him out of the league.........

These kids think that they're in the NHL or something.....

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jaegermeister269 said:
There is no point. The game is just so intense and so emotional that sometimes it just happens. Usually, it is the 18-19 year olds right out of high school who are not used to to the "rubbing" of a no check league and they get a little P.O.'d and go after somebody. I refuse to fight. Believe me, sometimes I want to, but I have to work in the morning.

In my men's "C" division (BEER LEAGUE) game the other night, some little guy decides to take a swing at the largest guy on the ice, who just happens to be on my team. He starts throwing down and my buddy beat the living hell out of him *you should have seen his face) then he called the rink the next day and says he was going to press charges, after HE started the fight. He was about 19, 5'5" 150 lbs, and my guy is about 33, 6'4" and 325+ lbs.

Just as clarification.... I think when talking of fighting in hockey and the place it has.....we are talking about HIGH LEVEL hockey, not beer league/house hockey. Of course there is no place for testosterone based fisticuffs at the local rink, though I didn't think that is the "fighting" we were discussing......

I don't think you are going to get anyone to argue that there is a place in rec hockey for fighting......

·
Registered
261 Posts
jaegermeister269 said:
then he called the rink the next day and says he was going to press charges, after HE started the fight. He was about 19, 5'5" 150 lbs, and my guy is about 33, 6'4" and 325+ lbs.

He was learning how to cry and complain from Crosby...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts