Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to build my dream bike this winter: Tommasini techno with full record. The techno is a beautiful frame with a real retro feel. Going to use a threaded Tommasini Air fork w/quill stem which adds to the classic look.

My color question has to do with wheels. I’d like to use a modern wheel (Campy Neutron?) but am not sure how all black (hub/spoke/rim) wheels & carbon crank will look on a retro frame like the techno. The other option is to use record hubs & hand build w/stainless spokes & natural color alum rims.

I’ve searched the web for hours for pics of a techno (or similar frame) with all black wheels/carbon crank but can’t find anything. All the technos I’ve found have silver spokes/rims. Can anyone here post a pic of a techno (or sintesi? cinelli? etc?) with all black wheels/carbon crank?

BTW, I’m leaning toward Ferrari red although dark blue looks really nice against the chrome lugs/stays/fork! Thanks for any & all input and double thanks if someone has pics!

· Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't have a Techno frame, but great choice. I can't help not responding to Tommasini threads.

You certainly can't go wrong with Ferrari red, white lettering, with the chrome. That's just about as classic as you can get. I have a red, yellow, and white '91 Diamante that I have built up as a retro/modern and will say a bit of black here and there looks good. I have a black quill stem, black pedals and black King hubs. I have non-carbon Campy gear for everything else, including C-Record post, headset, and Deltas, but with modern silver ergo and derailleurs.

For wheels, I'd do the Record hubs with a custom build. I'd do regular black anodized rims with silver spokes. I never ran silver rims back in the day as they were generally perceived as not as good as the anodized black rims. In the mid-80s, the cheap bikes had silver rims. I have some modern-looking all black wheels that look out of place on my Tommasini. If you are going for the classic look, the wheels are one of the most obvious places to keep it standard.

brewster

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, understand your point about uber modern wheels looking out of place on a lugged Tom frame. . .that may be why I can't find a picture of one!

That said, I played w/photoshop this am - using a pic of a dark blue Sintesi I photoshoped some black Neutron wheels, carbon crank & black seatpost/saddle. That combination actually looks pretty good together. But it may be because the blue is so dark - black wheelset fits. I think red may be a dif. story and your suggestion on the handbuilts may look better with the red Techno.

I just ran across this forum and think I need to spend some time searching here for a nice side shot of a red Techno. Then I can play with it in photo shop until I decide which way to go. What a great problem to have - couple months to research & decide all the details. . .decisions, decisions!

Thanks Brewster, 'preciate your input!

· Registered
2,177 Posts
other than the chromed lugs. I'd say looking at c40's and c50s may be a good way to catch a classic frame with modern shiznit on it.
I'm on a steel fondy with tempest 2's and it looks sweet.
another idea for a very clean/simple frame, with modern kit would be to check the moots forum.
good luck, and you MUST post pics of tomi's. Ain't nothin' more classic Italian than Tomi's.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
I collect shots of Tommasini's when I run across them... Here's somebody's red Techno. I don't mind the silver rims so much here, but the black threadless stem kind of kills it for me. I'd at least do a polished Thomson X2 stem that isn't so hulking in comparison if you must have a threadless setup. The other shot is another unbuilt frame I found in my stash.

brewster

· Registered
638 Posts
Theres two color schemes I would consider for a dream bike.
A. Black with tan stripes around the logos with the logos in antique white. Lugs chromed and all hardware in silver including wheelset. Bar tape and saddle in tan.

B. Dark metallic Grey (like 03 VW GTi) with red stipes around the logos with logos in black. Lugs painted black and all black hardware. saddle in black, wrap in red.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr. Hamlin - spent some quality time in the Moots forum as suggested. . .nice lookin rides! Time well spent but pushed me the direction Brewster suggested for wheels.

Black & Tan or Dark Met. Grey? . . .hadn't thought about that. Tonight I'll spend some time on the Tommasini site & play with their "color choosing link" & check those out. But there's something about Ferrari red/italian frame that's really calling to me on this one.

Ah, thanks again Brewster. That's the frame I'm planning. The only change: I'm going with solid red/no graphic on the top tube. Just the white Tom logos on seat/down tubes. I agree about the stem. I'm def. planning a threaded fork/quill. Just not sure how it will come together with current carbon campy group. I pretty much "sux" at photo shop but I'm working (slowly) on some cut & paste. If I pull that off I'll post the pic for comments.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DavidAdam57 said:
Hey did you find any pics of a red techno? Would love to see them. Thanks
I haven't found many red technos (mostly red "frame only" and a few blue ones that have been built.) Here's a red techno built as a single speed. This one's not my flavor though - I'm planning threaded headset/quill stem (cinelli or nito pearl,) silver/alum post, bright rims, black tires, black seat/tape, and either 10 or 11 spd record (depends on '09 prices once initial distribution is over.)

Anyway, first pic is somone else's 1spd techno. Second pic is the one I'm building. . .Ok, not much of a start yet! I found a set of new-in-box '06 chorus hubs (32h, never laced.) '06 was the last year of the old hub style and I feel really fortunate to have found them! :thumbsup: OK, the pics:

· Registered
5 Posts
Tommasini Red

Thanks for the pic. I agree it's not my taste either. I think I'm going to get my sintesi in Ferrari red (don't care much for the metallic red...red93, though I've seen a few pics of midnight blue and that looks very tempting), silver quill stem, silver chorus ti aero seat post...have one on my cinelli and i love the way it looks, white tape, white seat, black brake hoods and mostly either chorus or centaur, all in silver (can't swing record). Not sure about wheels yet.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DavidAdam57 said:
Thanks for the pic. I agree it's not my taste either. I think I'm going to get my sintesi in Ferrari red (don't care much for the metallic red...red93, though I've seen a few pics of midnight blue and that looks very tempting), silver quill stem, silver chorus ti aero seat post...have one on my cinelli and i love the way it looks, white tape, white seat, black brake hoods and mostly either chorus or centaur, all in silver (can't swing record). Not sure about wheels yet.
Yep, the dark blue frame really lets the chrome stand out. But in the end I gotta go with the ferrari red/white lettering. But. . . pics like this one sure are tempting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.