Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, newbie here, greetings to you all.

With my wife's blessing, I am building a dream bike. I've selected several frames:

Pinarello Prince

2009 Ridley Noah

2009 Look 595

Specialized Tarmac SL2

With the exception of Tarmac SL2 (life time frame warranty), those European brands have 2 years to 5 years warranty. Pinarello Prince is especially shocking, it is the most expensive frame I listed here, but came with only 2 years warranty.

All these are great frames, but paying $3000 to $5500 for a frame without lifetime warranty does bother me a little. I love the beauty of the Prince and it is unique, Tarmac SL2 has a life time warranty but everyone has one.

Question 1: If it was your money, which of these frames would you buy?

Question 2: Does warranty really matter when dealing with these top bicycle makers?

Thank you,

David Chen (aka Flyingtiger)
Elk Grove, California

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
flyingtiger said:
Hi guys, newbie here, greetings to you all.

With my wife's blessing, I am building a dream bike. I've selected several frames:

Pinarello Prince

2009 Ridley Noah

2009 Look 595

Specialized Tarmac SL2

With the exception of Tarmac SL2 (life time frame warranty), those European brands have 2 years to 5 years warranty. Pinarello Prince is especially shocking, it is the most expensive frame I listed here, but came with only 2 years warranty.

All these are great frames, but paying $3000 to $5500 for a frame without lifetime warranty does bother me a little. I love the beauty of the Prince and it is unique, Tarmac SL2 has a life time warranty but everyone has one.

Question 1: If it was your money, which of these frames would you buy?

Question 2: Does warranty really matter when dealing with these top bicycle makers?

Thank you,

David Chen (aka Flyingtiger)
Elk Grove, California
Answer #1. My $$ would go towards the Tarmac, because (IMO and IME) they're great bikes, (and as noted) have a lifetime warranty and almost no one around my area has one. :)
Seriously though, the popularity of a bike doesn't affect my choice, fit does.

Answer #2. Regarding the bikes with a 2-5 year warranty - in the event of problems after the warranty expires, it'll matter.

An unsolicited opinion. Check out the Tarmac Pro. The specs are very close to the SL2 and you'll save a barrel of dough. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Have you checked the sizing and geometry between all of them? That would be the most important. Then price and warranty. Gotta fit or must acquit...Or, hell, you like the Pinarello, so buy it...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you are playing in those kind of numbers, Crumpton or Ruegamer (ruesports.com.) Ruegamers are some of the coolest bikes made, very light, and both are completely custom, made to fit you. You won't have to worry about fit, something a newbie is unlikely to get right, and I'm not sure I'd trust an LBS. They are in business to sell you the bikes they have in stock, or are contracted to sell.
If I had $3500-4000 to blow on a frame, definitely that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Warranty is bullshit, a product should be so good that it do not need a warrenty.
like Nike shoos if you ruin them you get some brand new ones,but in the end you get so tired of always getting new ones. it is better whit a product that last a long time than a product that have lifetime warranty.I am waiting for my Noah

·
Registered
717 Posts
guddis said:
Warranty is bullshit, a product should be so good that it do not need a warrenty.
like Nike shoos if you ruin them you get some brand new ones,but in the end you get so tired of always getting new ones. it is better whit a product that last a long time than a product that have lifetime warranty.I am waiting for my Noah
Um... er?

·
Alcohologist
92 Posts
Save a few grand and get the pinarello fp3 - it's the prince design with different carbon. Rides the same as the prince just a little heavier, which can be changed easily with a different wheelset - which you can afford by going with a cheaper frame.

It's a really sweet ride.

·
Alcohologist
92 Posts
"Like most of your personal property, your bicycle should be covered under the named perils section of your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy for both on and off premises damage. But keep in mind that your deductible may exceed the cost of the bicycle."

When I asked my insurance company (state farm) they said "any" damage.

Anyway, sorry to threadjack. But when I was looking I was thinking about the warranty as well, but with homeowners I didn't worry about it as much as I wouldn't have to come up with the whole $4k to replace my bike if there was a problem.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
For that kind of coin, you should seriously consider custom.

Seriously, why spend 3-5 grand on an off-the-shelf frame?

Plus, most custom builders really stand behind their work.

Calfee and Crumpton do custom carbon, There's hundreds of custom steel builders out there...

For that kind of money, you should get something that is unique to you and you alone. Built to fit the way you ride and the way you want your bike to look.

Plus, you buy custom, you're buying American. Unless you buy custom from Canada or Italy or something. But seriously, you're supporting the arts when you buy custom. How many pieces of art can you ride downhill at 40+ mph?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts