Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you recommended a Dremel tool for cable cutting. Are the cordless ones OK? Should I get a variable speed one?

·
Registered
591 Posts
dremel tool

...I hate rechargable batteries, they don't last long enough to do some big jobs, crap out and die and are expensive. I prefer variable speed.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Don't recommend Dremel

Sean OConnor said:
Most of you recommended a Dremel tool for cable cutting. Are the cordless ones OK? Should I get a variable speed one?
I have a variable speed AC powered Dremel. While they do a very clean job of cutting housing, the problem is that they melt the plastic coating too much, which makes it peel back and flare out a bit, making it hard to install ferrules; also, the cut-off wheels explode on you now and then, making it absolutely mandatory to wear safety goggles, and they hurt when the pieces hit you in the face, and also then take time to replace.

I now always just cut with decent cable cutters and then grind on a small bench grinder with a fine wheel. Just don't hold the cable against the wheel long, so you won't melt the housing cover there, either. Then, use the little pointy thing on the cable cutters to ream out a bit. I think this is the standard professional way to do it.

Doug

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sean OConnor said:
A Dremel is so handy for so many things that you'll probably find yourself using it a lot. I'd recommend buying the best one that you think you can afford. I do like cordless tools with rechargeable batteries. I just like the convenience of having two batteries for them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Cordless works okay

Sean OConnor said:
I've got a small cordless one that works okay on small jobs - like one or two cable housings. It's got two speeds but I've only found the faster one useful on the small jobs I do. I prefer the AC model dremels but if all you're going to do with it is cut housing, then they aren't really necessary.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The cordless versions feel and work like a toy compared to the AC versions. I have both and never use the cordless one anymore--it has no power, the charge doesn't last, and it doesn't have the speed. Spend the extra money and get the variable speed AC version. You won't regret it.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
mgp said:
The cordless versions feel and work like a toy compared to the AC versions. I have both and never use the cordless one anymore--it has no power, the charge doesn't last, and it doesn't have the speed. Spend the extra money and get the variable speed AC version. You won't regret it.
I got the "on/off" version of the Dremel for Christmas a few years ago. The "on" speed is WAY FAST. Off is self-explanatory.

Get the variable speed AC model.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts