Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I finally wore a hole in the sole that leaks water through on my dress shoes (the hole is nearly all the way through actually). Anyways I bought another pair as I saw them on sale. The old shoes are about 2.5yrs old, they don't look super good, but they are still wearable (oh these are Cole Haan Calhouns if that matters) if the soles were still good.

Any of you guys get your lether soled dress shoes resoled? Approx cost? Are the soles like new afterwards? Are shoes generally as comfortable afterwards compared to a new pair?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
phil. said:
Okay so I finally wore a hole in the sole that leaks water through on my dress shoes (the hole is nearly all the way through actually). Anyways I bought another pair as I saw them on sale. The old shoes are about 2.5yrs old, they don't look super good, but they are still wearable (oh these are Cole Haan Calhouns if that matters) if the soles were still good.

Any of you guys get your lether soled dress shoes resoled? Approx cost? Are the soles like new afterwards? Are shoes generally as comfortable afterwards compared to a new pair?
I resoled a pair of loafers in college (lo these many years ago). The main paths on campus were all gravel, and that took its toll on leather soles in the spring or fall, when it was often wet. Wet leather + abrasive gravel = worn out soles.

It was definitely cheaper than new loafers, and since the uppers were in decent condition, they looked pretty new when I got them back. They never really felt right, though--it was like the soles needed to be broken in just the same amount as the uppers and the mismatch just didn't feel right. I think I'd have been happier with all-new.

If I were in the same situation now, but already had a brand-new pair also, I wouldn't bother resoling. I know I'd never wear the resoled ones because they'd feel funny.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
phil. said:

I got a pair of boots resoled once. I've never been happy with the job they did. Find a good cobbler!!!

p.s. Duct tape works well for holes in soles. Well, at least for a little bit.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
phil. said:

Depends...I get mine wholesale so financially it really isn't worth it to me--plus a resoled shoe never feels the same as before in my experience.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Dollar Threshold

Been about 10 years since I got a pair resoled. IIRC it was maybe $15 to $20. I would say that if the shoes cost $125 plus and the uppers were in very good condition then go for the resole otherwise just buy new. I think if you go through the Johnston & Murphy resole program you get a better job but you pay for it.

For my leather soled dress shoes I have two pair. The older pair is worn on days when it is wet or I anticipated a lot of walking on concrete. The newer pair is kept for good weather and fancy stuff. As the old pair wears out pair number two rolls into the old group and I buy a new pair. The wet weather walking just kills soles and by having two pair I can really extend the life of my shoes.

Bocephus Jones II said:
...plus a resoled shoe never feels the same as before in my experience.
Always feels like a wrinkle in your sock.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I get mine resoled as a rule. If the uppers are good, it's MUCH cheaper than buying a new pair. If you have it done, my suggestion is to get full soles and heels. Your shoes will feel & look almost like new, and be every bit as comfy. Half soles are cheaper, but not nearly as good.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I went by the cobbler on my way home (um, good only find one in town using google). I took my shoes in and asked how much to be resoled. He took a look at them and suggested a half sole + a new heel = $40. I left them there but now I'm wondering what ar ethe benefits of the full sole versus half sole resoling job. I'm sure I could get it changed if really need be, but if the cobbler viewed the shoes himself and suggested the half sole + heel, should I just trust him? He commented that the shoes were very nice shoes. I looked around and he had shoes for sale that all looked resoled and the quality looked good to me, oh and this is the only cobbler in town but it's also where Dillards and the likes send shoes to him.

I really can't find too much on google though about how to avoid half resoling or comparing half resole versus full resole. I did read something about there being like 60,000-70,000 cobblers in teh US in 1960, and now it's down to like 6500 cobblers.

This is totally new to me and I feel like someone buying a their first real bike, not knowing exactly what means what, or what I really need. Basically though, $40 is cheaper than buying a "rain" dress shoe. I guess I should've discussed it more w/ the cobbler about my intentions of the shoes or what not and the full vs. half resole advantage/disadvantage.

Thanks for the responses so far, I guess I should've taken before pictures so I could "POST A PIC!!!!!!!".

·
ten cents gets you nuts
189 Posts
Are you really happy with your current shoes?
Is the cobbler Cole-Haan certified (or whatever they call it)?
What is the cost of replacement?

I've had my Birk Bostons resoled three times and gotten two new strap studs added. New Bostons--$120. New soles--$20. I love my Bostons so I've kept this up. The sole is Birkenstock and is completely indistiguishable from stock.

With dress shoes in mind, I have a pair of Johnston and Murphy Trampolines that are without compare in terms of comfort. I am in school and only wear them for interviews, but when they die, I will resole them at a J&M authorized cobbler.

If you can wear these dress shoes for 12 hours at a stretch w/o discomfort, you have found "the one." Go with the resole if they can offer the same level of quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts