Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any exprience with this.

I ordered a Di2 kit for my Ridley Crossbow.

Im not concerned about warrenty as the frame is more than 5 years old and well used. Not even overly concerned about the down tube of seat tube holes but drill back in the chain stay for the rear hook up seems ify.

Thoughts from anyone, esp Cxwrench.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
Won't that weaken the area of the frame? But you might be ok and get away with it?

I wonder if frame makers who make frames for Di2, do they reinforced that part of the frame with more material inside the tube?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
A perfectly drilled hole in a low stress area of a frame would not be an issue.
How you go about doing this is another thing. :)

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
How many OEM companies i.e., Trek, Specialized, etc., are offering electronic shifting with aluminum frames? I'll bet none, because external routing for electronic shifting is unattractive from a marketing standpoint, and OEMs would have to reinforce the access holes.

Drilling a hole can create a stress riser, but drilling it in a location where there's little stress eliminates that problem. I wouldn't drill a hole near either end of the downtube, but I'd certainly drill holes in the headtube or bottom bracket.

In the end, I'd say go for it with the understanding that if the frame cracks at a hole then it would have been expected, and you can consider that your time to switch to a carbon frame, which appears to be more electronic-friendly by design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.