Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
century rider
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a carbon bar w/c I'm thinking of drilling holes for the brake cable to go thru.Its the same design as the FSA K-wing bar, just w/o the brake cable holes. Is it safe? How do I go about it? saw one done with someone I know and he did 4 pairs as he's running campy. But he hardly rides so durability might not be his priority. thanks!

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Three words.

battaglin said:
Hi all! I have a carbon bar w/c I'm thinking of drilling holes for the brake cable to go thru.Its the same design as the FSA K-wing bar, just w/o the brake cable holes. Is it safe? How do I go about it? saw one done with someone I know and he did 4 pairs as he's running campy. But he hardly rides so durability might not be his priority. thanks!
Very bad idea.

·
Registered
499 Posts
stick to taping my friend...... Ive seen 3 expensive TT bars crack (alum and carbon) from holes. Try running the cable on the back of the bar with the triangle shaped cable covers you run under the tape. It will have an areo shape and you can tell your buddies its faster by 3/10ths hahahaha.

On a serious note leave drilling holes to downhillers and 4crossers who are more likly to blow the part up before it cracks.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
in addition the brakes will more than likely not operate quite as smoothly. I've got an older pair of aluminum drilled cinellis (given to me). i don't remember how I managed to thread my cable housing through both holes. having had a set of undrilled bars break on me (at the stem) i'm not sure why i'm even riding my cinellis...looking for trouble :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts