Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished building up an Argon 18 frameset and found that when installing the front (Dura Ace) calliper, the allen ‘'nut' only threaded onto the very end of the calliper bolt. In other words the fork is quite wide and the drilled recess to house the allen nut was insufficiently deep to allow the nut to thread on to the bolt.
I had two options: get a longer nut or drill the forks. I did the latter with and 10mm metal drill bit, which fitted the recess perfectly. I think it was pretty successful. Is this common practice as forks, especially carbon forks, get wider?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Not such a dare-devil.

gizzard said:
I've just finished building up an Argon 18 frameset and found that when installing the front (Dura Ace) calliper, the allen ‘'nut' only threaded onto the very end of the calliper bolt. In other words the fork is quite wide and the drilled recess to house the allen nut was insufficiently deep to allow the nut to thread on to the bolt.
I had two options: get a longer nut or drill the forks. I did the latter with and 10mm metal drill bit, which fitted the recess perfectly. I think it was pretty successful. Is this common practice as forks, especially carbon forks, get wider?
I just went to the LBS to get a longer nut, I feel a bit apprehensive to drilling things out. If I mess up a fork it's gonna be a whole lot more expensive than a $0.50 nut.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Lower the river?

gizzard said:
Per rogger, the standard fix is to get the longer bolt. There are several lengths available. Drilling holes in CF parts, particularly forks, and particularly right at the fork crown, seems unwise, at best. It is not, and will not be common practice to drill out fork crowns when the simple fix of a longer bolt is readily available and very low cost.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I've encountered this often enough that I keep a couple of longer nuts in my parts tray. I cannot imagine taking a drill to a fork and no, that is not the standard practice for solving the problem. In fact, most "fat" forks come with the proper nut.

I'd probably check that spot from time to time.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Why didn't you ask before you took an irreversible step?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts