Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ashamed to say it, but I have about 11,000 miles on my chain. Everything still shifts to my satisfaction. I now think that I am pushing it too far. When I change the chain, should I also replace the cassette, and the chainring that I use most of the time?

Ultegra 9 speed triple with SRAM chain.

· Registered
642 Posts
12" rule?

I believe if you put a ruler on your chain. the 1" and 12" tick marks should line up on the center of the pins on the links. If it's more that an 1/8" off, time to replace the chain. Pretty sure it's an 1/8th. Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
First measure the chain, as daniell suggested. 1/8 inch over 12 inches is about 1%, and means definitely toss the chain. Most people advise replacing it with half that much wear.

If your chain is very worn, it has probably also worn the most-used cogs on the cassette. You can inspect the cogs to get an idea, but the real test is to ride it with a new chain. If the cogs are worn enough to require replacement, the chain will skip under heavy pressure. If it doesn't skip, you're good. But unless you were extremely obsessive about cleaning and lubing your chain, chances are good that your chain is far gone, and some cogs are worn, too. So it's likely you'll need a new cassette.

Chainrings are not such a big deal. They wear more slowly because the load is spread over more teeth. Unless you experience a problem, your chainrings are probably still okay.

Here's some more detailed discussion from the late Sheldon Brown.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I am one of the 100 people in the world that can get 12,000 miles out of a chain, so I'm sure that yours is shot. Throw a new chain on, and take the bike for a test ride. Do some sprints in the gears that you use mostly. If you get skips, it's time for a new cassette. Your chainrings should be good for at least double that mileage.
If you need to replace your cassette, try to do it within a week or so, or use different gear combo's when you ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.