Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I love reading the Gothamist and NYC is sure a riot of a vacation, but I will never understand why people continue to live there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
John's friend in CO keeps texting us suggestions for companies to apply to out there. Easier said than done, of course.

Never a dull moment here in any case. It does make the commutes interesting.
If you are in finance, it is difficult. I would love to live in CO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I love reading the Gothamist and NYC is sure a riot of a vacation, but I will never understand why people continue to live there.
Liveliness, variety, culture and goods of all sorts, all in a greater profusion than you will find anywhere else in the country, or possibly the world. That's worth a great deal to many people, enough to vastly outweigh the other costs. It takes a lot of energy to live there happily (or a lot of money), but those who love it, love it.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
John's friend in CO keeps texting us suggestions for companies to apply to out there. Easier said than done, of course.

Colorado is full

·
δanned
7,005 Posts

Just be wary which part of CO you choose to live. I almost got a job in Fort Collins, and my rent would've increased ~50% over what I pay in upstate NY. House prices are just as insane.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just be wary which part of CO you choose to live. I almost got a job in Fort Collins, and my rent would've increased ~50% over what I pay in upstate NY. House prices are just as insane.
That's what I was afraid of. Plus, I overheard on the train this morning that a guy who visited CO on vacation said that locals were griping about all the new arrivals.

John's friends live in Carbondale and.......ahh forget the other town maybe 10 miles east of there.......great trails in the area, artsy culture, can't be cheap.

But if the prices are on par with upstate upstate NY (beyond Rockland and such, which some people consider "upstate") then it might be do-able.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'd move to Montrose in a heartbeat.

Was there on a stop on the Bike Tour of Colorado, fell in love.

No major airport so the relatives have to make a supreme effort to visit.

Problem is my wife has a nice gig at CBS and isn't leaving anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
And FWIW and as comment on the OP,

A few short years into commuting to Brooklyn and I started calling NYC the "Wild, wild, east".

So many nut jobs.

When they re-built the Belf Parkway bridges over assorted creeks, they added break-down lanes. Wasn't long before folks started using them as passing lanes, rumble strips and all. Nuts.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've lived in NYC for a year. If I had a lot of money, like a stock broker friend of mine, it would have been a fun and comfortable place to live.
Yup, it's even a great place to raise kids.........IF you've got the scratch.

It's definitely a non-stop variety show, and it spoils you for stimulation. I do like the idea of having the nieces/nephews come to visit as they get older and want to check it out.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. Plus, I overheard on the train this morning that a guy who visited CO on vacation said that locals were griping about all the new arrivals.

John's friends live in Carbondale and.......ahh forget the other town maybe 10 miles east of there.......great trails in the area, artsy culture, can't be cheap.

But if the prices are on par with upstate upstate NY (beyond Rockland and such, which some people consider "upstate") then it might be do-able.
That's the deal with all the "Hot cities", SF, Denver, SoCal, Austin, Portland, Seattle, etc. People move there from somewhere else, then complain about everyone moving there.

·
Registered
335 Posts

10 miles north is glenwood springs, 10 south is basalt, 25 or so south is aspen. Nothing east but mountains. Probably referring to glenwood, and yes it's fairly pricy in the roaring fork valley

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
10 miles north is glenwood springs, 10 south is basalt, 25 or so south is aspen. Nothing east but mountains. Probably referring to glenwood, and yes it's fairly pricy in the roaring fork valley
I love Glenwood. I get to go there for work about once a year. Places like that are strange to me, because they are expensive, but I don't see a ton of high paying jobs around. A lot of beach towns are like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts