Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a nice ride up HWY 9 to vista point on Mon.
3/4 up to the top a car wizzes past me and the passenger
yells, "Hey sport". I was started, but only traveling at 6-7 mph
(the season is early), I didn't move out of my lane.
When I got to the top, I saw these people and explained not to
yell out at cyclists llke that as you can startle them into doing
something stupid. He first response was "OK" . Then he said
"since I don't see a license on your bike you don't belong on the
road". WTF?? . I just rode off and yelled back " Yeah I see how
much you know". He said he read it online. When I got to the bottom
I grabbed the first cop on a motorcycle and questioned this.
He said it only applies to motorcycles. Be careful out there.
The gene pool mentality is beyond belief.
I personally think cyclists are smart, educated, and obey traffic
laws, lest they become statistics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Road cyclist said:
I personally think cyclists are smart, educated, and obey traffic
laws, lest they become statistics.
There's lots of people who ride bicycles. Some are smarter, more educated, and more likely to obey traffic laws than others.

The same thing is true of people who drive automobiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
Common complaint...

Road cyclist said:
So I took a nice ride up HWY 9 to vista point on Mon.
3/4 up to the top a car wizzes past me and the passenger
yells, "Hey sport". I was started, but only traveling at 6-7 mph
(the season is early), I didn't move out of my lane.
When I got to the top, I saw these people and explained not to
yell out at cyclists llke that as you can startle them into doing
something stupid. He first response was "OK" . Then he said
"since I don't see a license on your bike you don't belong on the
road". WTF?? . I just rode off and yelled back " Yeah I see how
much you know". He said he read it online. When I got to the bottom
I grabbed the first cop on a motorcycle and questioned this.
He said it only applies to motorcycles. Be careful out there.
The gene pool mentality is beyond belief.
I personally think cyclists are smart, educated, and obey traffic
laws, lest they become statistics.
Let me just say that if I had a dime for every motorist who told me I didn't belong on the road because I didn't have a license plate, or a registration, then I'd be a damn rich man. This is a common misconception amongst motorists that cyclists in general don't pay for the roads that we're riding on, which as we all know is far from the truth. In NC where I live, there are gas taxes that I pay a couple of times per week when I fill up my car to drive to work, then there are registration fees for my car which go to maintaining the roadways, then property taxes, and so on and so forth. So next time someone tries to tell you that you don't belong on the road because you're not paying for it, remind them that indeed you do pay for it, because most people also drive cars, just because at the time when someone asks you about it you're not driving a car, doesn't mean you don't have one at home. I hate stupid people. By and far, most people don't use the bike as their only means of transportation, at least not in the US. I wish that I could, but alas, it proves out to be problematic at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,116 Posts
Screw that! Thank them for paying for your roads for you. Rub it in. Anyone that stupid deserves no less.

Road taxes are a joke in the US anyway. They are hugely funded through general taxes. Gas taxes, registration, and vehicles taxes are dirt cheap in the US. It would be very interesting if drivers in the US had to pay their own way. Vehicle prices would double, and fuel prices triple. It would really change use patterns.

magnolialover said:
So next time someone tries to tell you that you don't belong on the road because you're not paying for it, remind them that indeed you do pay for it, because most people also drive cars, just because at the time when someone asks you about it you're not driving a car, doesn't mean you don't have one at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
I just got in from a 50 mile ride. Was about two miles from home on city streets when a car pulled right out in front of me from a stop sign. I had none. I braked and called out "Hello" after he passed. He shouted and threw me the finger. Sorry, Jesus loves him and I'm trying but I'm still practicing the turn the other cheek thing. So he got the same sign back. A mile later he came flying passed me accelerating trying to frighten me. I saw him in my helmet mirror and realized what he was doing so no problem. I saluted him again.

For those of you who would say, you shouldn't do that...I say, OK, you shouldn't do that. But I will, and if he had stopped the car I would have gladly given him a lesson in manners and/or phoned the police. But, I never liked the idea of living like a coward and I don't intend to start now. Good sense? I don't care. I'll sleep fine tonight.

Ice Man.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
walleyeangler said:
I just got in from a 50 mile ride. Was about two miles from home on city streets when a car pulled right out in front of me from a stop sign. I had none. I braked and called out "Hello" after he passed. He shouted and threw me the finger. Sorry, Jesus loves him and I'm trying but I'm still practicing the turn the other cheek thing. So he got the same sign back. A mile later he came flying passed me accelerating trying to frighten me. I saw him in my helmet mirror and realized what he was doing so no problem. I saluted him again.

For those of you who would say, you shouldn't do that...I say, OK, you shouldn't do that. But I will, and if he had stopped the car I would have gladly given him a lesson in manners and/or phoned the police. But, I never liked the idea of living like a coward and I don't intend to start now. Good sense? I don't care. I'll sleep fine tonight.

Ice Man.
Can't say as I'dblame you.:thumbsup:
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,528 Posts
Me either. Not really sure that Jesus luvs him either. One time, several yrs ago, while coming into a small town an idiot in an old AMC 4wd car goes around me and yells the usual obcenities and gives me the bird. I rewarded him with the 1 digit solute, just to be polite ;) A block or so later, his fat girlfriend/wife/sister/whatever's car died. Right in the middle of the street. I pull up alongside and said " my bike works a whole lot better than yer POS, doesn't it?" Divine justice, I think. :)
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,513 Posts
Kram59 said:
Me either. Not really sure that Jesus luvs him either. One time, several yrs ago, while coming into a small town an idiot in an old AMC 4wd car goes around me and yells the usual obcenities and gives me the bird. I rewarded him with the 1 digit solute, just to be polite ;) A block or so later, his fat girlfriend/wife/sister/whatever's car died. Right in the middle of the street. I pull up alongside and said " my bike works a whole lot better than yer POS, doesn't it?" Divine justice, I think. :)
beautiful :)
now if only you'd had a fish to slap him across the face with...
-estone2
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,528 Posts
As I recall, it was real warm. Lifting my arms would have done the trick.:eek:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top