Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Cyclingnews.com

"The public prosecutor's office of Gera, Germany, announced Friday that Stephanie Magner, the now 19 year-old car driver who caused the July, 2005 crash in which Australian Institute of Sport rider Amy Gillett was killed and five of her team-mates were seriously injured, will receive a fine of 1440 Euros and not be allowed to drive for eight months. The group of riders were training in Thüringen, Germany, to prepare for a stage race when the accident occurred."

So, in Germany if you lose control of your car, run into a group of bicyclists killing one and seriously injuring the rest, you pay small fine and have your license suspended for 8 months.

Is it just me or does the punishment not fit the crime?

·
Registered
357 Posts
As much as this sucked, this was a new driver who had only been on the road for a few weeks and lost control around a corner. This 19 yo girl will spend the rest of her life knowing that she ended someone elses. This was not malicious, it was inexperience combined with people being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I say no penalty will bring back the riders, and her punishment will last the rest of her life, regardless of what the courts have to say.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
And in the US?

Koop said:
will receive a fine of 1440 Euros and not be allowed to drive for eight months. Is it just me or does the punishment not fit the crime?
So, what do you suppose the penalty would be in the US? 20 hours of community service, or maybe "no ticket issued," or in the case of one guy I know when the driver turned into him, the biker got the ticket (cop never even talked to the biker).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
So, what do you suppose the penalty would be in the US? 20 hours of community service, or maybe "no ticket issued," or in the case of one guy I know when the driver turned into him, the biker got the ticket (cop never even talked to the biker).
Took the words right out of my mouth. Hands. Whatever.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
A big sausage pizza...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here in Utah...

Kerry Irons said:
The death of Josie Johnson galvanized the local road cycling community. Her killer was just sentenced: http://sltrib.com/search/ci_3475061
What is not mentioned in this article is the woman who hit her is an owner (with her husband) of one of the ski resorts, Josie was on the white "fog" line (as it was callled by DOT) and was hit by the center of the car with no skid marks. The woman clearly wasn't paying attention or should not have been driving (if you believe the defense of "mini-strokes") to drift onto the gravel shoulder and nail this beautiful, intelligent, young woman.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
A change

Brooks said:
The death of Josie Johnson galvanized the local road cycling community. Her killer was just sentenced.
Also, I noticed when I was in Utah last month that there are now "share the road" signs posted in both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. I assume that these are a direct result of her death. It's sad that it requires such a senseless death to trigger the posting of these signs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts