Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 11,000 miles on my drivechain.
Ultegra Nine Speed Triple.
I am going to replace the chain. Should I also replace the cassette and the middle chainring?
I am attaching an image of the middle chainring. I would rather not have to replace the middle chainring if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
in all likelihood, yes. if you're a cheapskate, pop the new chain on there and go for a ride. be sure to hit all the gears with some high-torque efforts. if you get any chain skip, replace the offending ring/cog.

in the future, keep several chains around and rotate them every 3k or so. everything will last much longer.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Changeouts

daniell said:
I have about 11,000 miles on my drivechain. Ultegra Nine Speed Triple. I am going to replace the chain. Should I also replace the cassette and the middle chainring? I am attaching an image of the middle chainring. I would rather not have to replace the middle chainring if possible.
Is this 11,000 miles on one chain? How much has the chain elongated? Given Shimano components, you probably have gone way past the replacement point on that chain if you put 11,000 miles on it.

The chainring looks OK to me; I don't see any "shark fin" effect on the teeth. The standard test for a worn cassette is to install a new chain and then really hammer it in each cog. If the chain skips, then that cog needs to be replaced. You can get individual cogs, but they are so expensive that unless you only have to replace two cogs, you might as well get a new cassette.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Kerry Irons said:
Is this 11,000 miles on one chain? How much has the chain elongated? Given Shimano components, you probably have gone way past the replacement point on that chain if you put 11,000 miles on it.

The chainring looks OK to me; I don't see any "shark fin" effect on the teeth. The standard test for a worn cassette is to install a new chain and then really hammer it in each cog. If the chain skips, then that cog needs to be replaced. You can get individual cogs, but they are so expensive that unless you only have to replace two cogs, you might as well get a new cassette.
I am almost ashamed to admit it, but it is all on one chain. I often measured the the chain with a ruler, and found no stretch. perhaps it is the hot paraffin baths that keep the chain nice and clean.It is a SRAM chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts