Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since it is so quiet, I decided to post this up as a symbol that I have finally made up my mind on what to do with my rig! The work will be done in the beginning of March when the LBS reopens :)

I am presently running an Ultegra crank 53/39 which the big chain ring needs to be replaced, the teeth are really worn out after a season of commuting & a few CX races. I am still using platform pedals too. I think I would have crashed more during my 3 CX races last season, being a beginner & all at the ripe old age of 35, if I used clipless pedals! Another bonus is that my wife can jump on my bike as well, admittedly, she is too short for my bike, nut she tries.

Now comes the big part that I have been agonizing over the last few months. I will replace the short cage Ultegra RD & 11-23 cassette with Deore XT & cassette (kind of like the Bianchi Axis). I believe that this will help me in climbing aspects when I am road riding as well as when I am racing CX, with better low gearing selections. I read about this option in VeloNews tech section by Zinn & thought to myself, this is it! The wife will really love this.

Of course, there are those who will say that I will give up some top end speed or will spin out on the flats/downhills, I am willing to make that trade off. But to be honest, I don't think I have ever ran 53/11, not even once going downhill. Or for that matter, even the next one up.

With the demands of work & family, I get in a little over 2,500kms mainly my daily commute to work. In my one & only duathlon last season, the cycling portion was in the mountains, up & down hills for 33km. At that point, I realized that I needed better legs or climbing gears, seeing that I will not get better legs, ...

Have a great day folks!
A-Hawk

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can get 11-32 cassettes or 12-32 or 34, so you wont loose any gears high end, just gain low end. Need a long chain for 53 x 28 though!

I have spent the winter on my cx bike using 38 x 48T riding with roadies on 53T, and never spun out once even in sprints, wouldnt race it but its a thought.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dreww said:
You can get 11-32 cassettes or 12-32 or 34, so you wont loose any gears high end, just gain low end. Need a long chain for 53 x 28 though!

I have spent the winter on my cx bike using 38 x 48T riding with roadies on 53T, and never spun out once even in sprints, wouldnt race it but its a thought.
I tried to ride through winter but with the amount of snow & the temps below 0, it is not very safe or comfortable. Mind you, the weather is certainly warming up this week, should be in the 20's all week!

I thought about swapping the big chain ring to run 48 x 39 but I am not sure if it will help me in climbing or provide enough low gearing come race season once again. I also thought about the issue of chain slap on the chainstay but I will talk to my LBS about that as well. All else fails, wrap some hockey tape aorund the chain stay.

The other option was to replace the crank, FSA compact, to run 50 x 34 & leave the rear mech alone but I think this will be more expensive.

Happy riding!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
run an 11-32 with a 48/39 up front you'll be dandy. you'll need an MTB rearder. with a longer chain. I'd also suggest a chain watcher of some sort as this set up is more prone to chain drop in races.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chain watcher?

atpjunkie said:
run an 11-32 with a 48/39 up front you'll be dandy. you'll need an MTB rearder. with a longer chain. I'd also suggest a chain watcher of some sort as this set up is more prone to chain drop in races.
The rear mech is in the works & 48/39 sounds just as good as any other idea. But, what is a chain watcher???

·
Registered
405 Posts
Check out this pic, top right hand, sorry could not find better picture. findhttp://www.store.yahoo.com/cyclocrossworld/sinchainkitw.html

It clamps below front derailleur to prevent chain derailment. Obviously front chain rings will not help in climbing, dont waste money on FSA compact if Ultegra only needs rings, keep 39 (if good) buy a 48T and get a MTB cassette 32 or 34 etc. Jobs a goodun!

No reason why chain slap will occur, its just correct chain tension. NO PLEASE no hockey tape, aagh!! your LBS will set it up right i'm sure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's wrong with hockey tape????

dreww said:
Check out this pic, top right hand, sorry could not find better picture. findhttp://www.store.yahoo.com/cyclocrossworld/sinchainkitw.html

It clamps below front derailleur to prevent chain derailment. Obviously front chain rings will not help in climbing, dont waste money on FSA compact if Ultegra only needs rings, keep 39 (if good) buy a 48T and get a MTB cassette 32 or 34 etc. Jobs a goodun!

No reason why chain slap will occur, its just correct chain tension. NO PLEASE no hockey tape, aagh!! your LBS will set it up right i'm sure.
Hey!
What's wrong with hockey tape? Easy to put on & relatively easy to remove!
I'm a good old Canadian boy & proud of the game!

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
i'd echo what these guys say and go with something a little smaller up front.

since you mentioned FSA... i heard that they will be making a cross version of their carbon crank... 38/48

very nice.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
chain slap

will occur with a long cage rear der regardless of chain tension. Longer hanger with longer chain to allow bigger cogs equals chain slap and/ or derailment. Most often happens after a run-up when you set bike down too hard (somewhere between second and last lap, during LT meltdown). You set bike down too hard, derailleur bounces chain off the front ring, you remount, start to pedal with nothing there. Have to put chain back on, lose 3 places or more. cost me twice the year before, both times was the diff. between 1st or second and 4th. Chain watcher is a little hook that prevents chain from dropping. Yea Canada and Yea Hockey. GO LEAFS! (see I really am old school)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Low gears

My wife and I have been into some seriously steep climbs lately (15%-ish over extended distances), so I changed some gearing around on a couple of our bikes.

Hers now has 38/48 Salsa rings on an Ultegra crank, with a 12-34 XTR cassette, and a LX der. in the rear. The 38/34 low gear is lower than the stock Ultegra triple that came with her bike, but shifts better (IMO) with double rings.

I put a Sugino XD crankset on my touring bike with 36/42 rings, and run a 12-34 cassette. This gives some super low gearing, but it could easily run out of gear on the downhills. So far, on the flats I have been OK.

I think the Sugino 36/42 could make a great cross crankset when paired with a 12-25 cassette, or something similar. Could use a short-cage der. to keep it out of the sticks a little better. Also, the clearance under a 42T chainring is pretty good.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Two Season Mods

I ride my Redline all year and have two pirmary setups (not counting wheel swapping). Starting in September, I buy a chain and a 12-27 cassette and put my 39/48 chainrings on the bike. I adjust the chain length appropriately and save the links. As soon as 'cross season is over, I swap the 48 out for a 53 and add some links back to the chain. I spend the rest of the winter doing my commute/training and wearing down the chain and cassette. When the rain stops, I buy a new chain and use my old 12-25 cassette.

Notes:
* I have found that I go through at least two chains a year for the amount and type of riding I do.
* I would probably do well with a 38 small front chainring but a few years back before I got into 'cross, I got a good deal on some 39's and bought 4 since that was the ring I wore out the most. I am on my last one.
* I pretty much trash a chain and cassette by racing and commuting for six months in the rain.
* I have two sets of wheels. During racing season, I keep Tufo tubular clinchers on the nice wheels and only ride them for racing. The crappy wheels have Specialized Armadillos. When the rain stops, I put some knobbies on the crappy wheels and put some 23mm slicks on the nice wheels.
* I wear out a set of rims a year riding in the rain so my crappy wheels are usually a set of 105 hubs laced to CPX 22's or something along those lines.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
atpjunkie said:
will occur with a long cage rear der regardless of chain tension. Longer hanger with longer chain to allow bigger cogs equals chain slap and/ or derailment. Most often happens after a run-up when you set bike down too hard (somewhere between second and last lap, during LT meltdown). You set bike down too hard, derailleur bounces chain off the front ring, you remount, start to pedal with nothing there. Have to put chain back on, lose 3 places or more. cost me twice the year before, both times was the diff. between 1st or second and 4th. Chain watcher is a little hook that prevents chain from dropping. Yea Canada and Yea Hockey. GO LEAFS! (see I really am old school)
Ooooh! A Leaf fan. Being born & brought up in Montreal, I am a Canadiens fan, even though they have had a lot of crappy seasons.
I don't think that the chain falling off will cost me any victories. I am a beginner at 35yrs of age (last season). My first & only race in my home province of Quebec, I DNFed after pulling a muscle. My next 2 races in the neighboring province of Ontario, OBC Cyclocross Series, I was dead last in both races in my category of Vet A. The really funny part is that I ended up ranked 23rd out of 35 at the end of the series due to points earned & the fact that the others who finished dead last once never tried another race again:) I plan to do more races this fall at home & with OBC!
Besides my old road bike, an 1988 Raleigh Super Grand Prix regular dropped her chain on a hard bounce, read pothole, & I got kind of used to stopping & throwing the silly thing back on.
I just have a hard time visualizing how the chain watcher works. I guess its something that needs to be seen once in action to make a true believer out of me.

A-Hawk

·
Registered
58 Posts
For those of us with weak legs...

When I was putting together my bike last winter, I had a lot of the same questions. I decided to go with a mountain crank and drop the granny. I'm using a RaceFace 46-34, with a 12-27 in back. Works great, road and cross. I may be buying a second set of wheels in the spring, in which case I'll use a 11-23 in back for road use, and keep the other wheels for crossing. Now I don't have strong legs, and I backpack groceries and library books on my bike, and bike to the gym, so the low gearing is perfect. I have some shifting issues, though. In cross races, the chain drops off at least once a race (see ATP's example, though I was last and remained in last). So I'm going to make my own chain catcher.
I had thought about putting the RaceFace crank on my mountain ride, and getting a new compact crankset. Still might. But the carbon stuff is too expensive. FSA makes an alloy 50-34, and still has the Gossamer 46-36 (?). Then there is TruVativ, who makes reasonable alloy cranks, as well.
I'm sure in Montreal you'll have a lot of good shops to choose from. Around here, they look at me like I'm an alien. I hear a lot of "You can't do that" or "That won't work." Grumble, grumble.
Anyway, that's my input. Still getting used to the new forum setup.
Oh, and who are you guys going to cheer for when the NHL goes on strike?

·
Registered
405 Posts
arctic hawk said:
Hey!
What's wrong with hockey tape? Easy to put on & relatively easy to remove!
I'm a good old Canadian boy & proud of the game!
Nowt wrong with hockey tape on a stick but it has no place on a bike. Looks like crap.
I dont put bar tape on my stick, though its not a bad idea!! padded etc.

As for chain slap with long cage rear derailleurs etc, its not that bad ATP, needs to be set up right, I often race my full sus MTB, and carry up steep climbs cross style (way faster than guys who insist on riding everything granny ring style) and never lose my chain on remount.

Dreww
London Ontario CANADA (home of London Knights - best team in OHL, and 1hr from Leafs - best team in NHL)
BTW my 1 yr old had his first set of skates even before his first bike

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought about a Race Face crank too

Farmpunker said:
When I was putting together my bike last winter, I had a lot of the same questions. I decided to go with a mountain crank and drop the granny. I'm using a RaceFace 46-34, with a 12-27 in back. Works great, road and cross. I may be buying a second set of wheels in the spring, in which case I'll use a 11-23 in back for road use, and keep the other wheels for crossing. Now I don't have strong legs, and I backpack groceries and library books on my bike, and bike to the gym, so the low gearing is perfect. I have some shifting issues, though. In cross races, the chain drops off at least once a race (see ATP's example, though I was last and remained in last). So I'm going to make my own chain catcher.
I had thought about putting the RaceFace crank on my mountain ride, and getting a new compact crankset. Still might. But the carbon stuff is too expensive. FSA makes an alloy 50-34, and still has the Gossamer 46-36 (?). Then there is TruVativ, who makes reasonable alloy cranks, as well.
I'm sure in Montreal you'll have a lot of good shops to choose from. Around here, they look at me like I'm an alien. I hear a lot of "You can't do that" or "That won't work." Grumble, grumble.
Anyway, that's my input. Still getting used to the new forum setup.
Oh, and who are you guys going to cheer for when the NHL goes on strike?
I thought about a Race Face crank too. Now, which crank, one with a 110 bcd like the Turbine LP, or pure mountain, like the Ride XC? But when you add in the chain rings, and a new BB, then the costs get up there pretty quickly compared to swapping the RD & cassette. But on the plus side, you will have a pretty nice setup. As for Truvativ, I believe that the cross crank is a 48/39 unit with a 130 bcd, & then you are limited by how small of chain rings you would like to use.I have thought about an FSA compact unit, at the time, the only compact crank to be had was the carbon unit. Waaayyy to much $$ for me.
BTW, there are only 2 shops in the whole of Montreal that know what a CX bike is & looks like. Everyone else I have spoken with gives me weird looks at the very thought of change an Ultegra RD for an LX/XT RD. Try buying CX tires, now you are down to 1 shop.
Like you, I use a backpack (lock, lunch, change of clothing) for my daily commute to work & the gym as well.
As for the NHL strike, as much as I like the hometown Montreal Canadiens, something has to give in professional sports, whether it be basketball, baseball, etc. If hockey is first, then so be it. The salaries are ridiculous, there is no other way to describe it. Who can we blame? Want to blame the owners who are stupid enough to pay it & then cry that they don't make enough money & get this, NEED government help to subsidize the team otherwise we will move....? How about the major broadcasters who are fool enough to pay the millions upons millions for the broadcasting rights & are then forced to over hype the mediocre players & teams to superstar status? Want to blame the players who actually truly believe the hype & beyond a doubt that they are worth all that money? How about the lawyers who want their share? The players union who cannot negoiate down in fear of something called reality might actually set in? Want to blame the fans who are willing to shell out all that money to watch the game (about Cdn$100 to watch the Canadiens play at home), buy their sports clothing & items?
I think this is one reason that I got into CX racing. It's a grassroots thing here, at least in the races that I have participated in Quebec & Ontario. The same applies to my 1st duathlon last season too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
arctic hawk said:
I have thought about an FSA compact unit, at the time, the only compact crank to be had was the carbon unit. Waaayyy to much $$ for me.

As farm punkersaid FSA gossamer comes in 34-50T and goes for approx $200-250CDN,
pretty good for a top rate crank set, no B/B change needed. Not much difference than rear + cassette + rings ($100 for XT rear + $80 LX cassette + $50 x 2 for rings = $280CDN)!!!

Gives you something to think about eh! (EH! now THATS Canadian)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
chain slap and MTB

you won't drop a chain as much on a MTB as the suspension absorbs most of the 'set down' shock that is transferred to the rear der. on a cx or rigid bike. It is this reason most ride short cage rear der's. Chain adjustment won't work as you have to have enough chain to accomodate the big/big cross line (in this case 48/32 or 48/34). If you shortened chain enough to make it tight you'd be asking for a torn rear der. / hanger or worse rear drop out.
I have 2 cx bikes, 1, my pretty much race only runs a 46/36 with an 11-30 8 speed rear. I think this is the bee knees, if I can find some old XT short cage 8 speed rear der. or can modify my long cage I think it will be ideal. MShaw has a Mod XTegra rear that is the bomb (XT with Ultegra Cage). I still run a chain watcher on this rig as the long cage gets some bounce. I use mostly MTB gear as I'm a Clydesdale and prefer durability and reliability over weight. My cranks are both 110, my race rig originally had a 48 but I've never needed a 48/11 ratio in a cx race so I reduced my outer ring to tighten the chainline. My other rig (adventure bike, race bike, commuter) runs a 12-27 rear with an XTR 48/36/26 which I use the granny ring as a chain cather in races. At 230 plus though sometimes a 36/27 doesn't seem low enough. I've done runups as well in MTB races (why I prefer traditionally shaped FS MTB's) and have never dropped a chain but as I stated, front and rear travel absorbs that shock so the der. doesn't have to.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
My setup goes from cross to road, depending...

arctic hawk said:
Well, since it is so quiet, I decided to post this up as a symbol that I have finally made up my mind on what to do with my rig! The work will be done in the beginning of March when the LBS reopens :)

I am presently running an Ultegra crank 53/39 which the big chain ring needs to be replaced, the teeth are really worn out after a season of commuting & a few CX races. I am still using platform pedals too. I think I would have crashed more during my 3 CX races last season, being a beginner & all at the ripe old age of 35, if I used clipless pedals! Another bonus is that my wife can jump on my bike as well, admittedly, she is too short for my bike, nut she tries.

Now comes the big part that I have been agonizing over the last few months. I will replace the short cage Ultegra RD & 11-23 cassette with Deore XT & cassette (kind of like the Bianchi Axis). I believe that this will help me in climbing aspects when I am road riding as well as when I am racing CX, with better low gearing selections. I read about this option in VeloNews tech section by Zinn & thought to myself, this is it! The wife will really love this.

Of course, there are those who will say that I will give up some top end speed or will spin out on the flats/downhills, I am willing to make that trade off. But to be honest, I don't think I have ever ran 53/11, not even once going downhill. Or for that matter, even the next one up.

With the demands of work & family, I get in a little over 2,500kms mainly my daily commute to work. In my one & only duathlon last season, the cycling portion was in the mountains, up & down hills for 33km. At that point, I realized that I needed better legs or climbing gears, seeing that I will not get better legs, ...

Have a great day folks!
A-Hawk
...on the time of year.

I'm about to go set up the bike for the road season soon. I change out the chainrings to match my track bike (38/50t rings), keep the cassette (12-26t), and flip the stem back over to the low position.

I found a pair of XTR cranks somewhere that already had the 110mm adaptor on them. Cambria has some AC cranks that ATPJunkie rides that look almost identical to mine. Mmmmmm, XTRrrrrrrrr..... Then again, I'm a snob like that. (I buy almost EVERYTHING used 'cause I'm a cheap *******)

I added this just to add to the indecision. You can thank me later.

Mike

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.