Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched from a Dura-Ace / Ultegra 9 speed triple setup to a Dura-Ace / Ultegra 10 speed compact drive setup with a set of SRAM Force carbon cranks.

In doing so I had to swap out everything: chain, cassette, cranks, derailleurs, etc.

Since changing I am having some problems.

1. There is a squeeking / rubbing type noise and vibration when I get out of the saddle on climbs. It is not your typical BB creak. It is a sqweegie type rubber rubbing sensation that only happens on the left pedal down stroke under torque.

My bike shop removed the crankset and BB and put in a different one and it is still doing this.

What would possibly be causing this and why would it be doing this when it did not before? All components are brand new.

2. I notice that the drivetrain just feels "gritty" It is no longer smooth and silent. It has the sensation of the chain rubbing on the front derailleur cage, but that's not it. Feels kind of like a chain that is not lubed. It does it in every gear. Is this possible a function of needing to "break in" the new chain and cassette? Is it that a narrow chain 10 speed drivetrain just will not be as smooth as a 9 speed?

I have thoroughly cleaned the greasy gunk that comes on the new chain and it is properly lubed.

thanks for your help

Matt

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
bowler1 said:
I recently switched from a Dura-Ace / Ultegra 9 speed triple setup to a Dura-Ace / Ultegra 10 speed compact drive setup with a set of SRAM Force carbon cranks.

In doing so I had to swap out everything: chain, cassette, cranks, derailleurs, etc.

Since changing I am having some problems.

1. There is a squeeking / rubbing type noise and vibration when I get out of the saddle on climbs. It is not your typical BB creak. It is a sqweegie type rubber rubbing sensation that only happens on the left pedal down stroke under torque.

My bike shop removed the crankset and BB and put in a different one and it is still doing this.

What would possibly be causing this and why would it be doing this when it did not before? All components are brand new.

This could be any number of things, seatpost, saddle rails etc... One thing that might help is go for a quick spin in sneakers, that will rule out the pedal and cleat and can narrow things down for you a bit...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any number of things

I agree that there are a lot of things that can cause squeeking. However much of that can be ruled out. It's not the seat or post as it only happens out of the saddle. Pedals and cleats are the same. Only change is in the drivetrain.

It is possible though that the shape of the new crank arms may be resulting in some rubbing that did not happen with the old cranks....I'll check.

It almost seems that maybe the rear wheel is flexing / shifting enough to rub the brake pad when I am jamming out of the saddle on climbs. I'll check that too; although I don't know why that would happen now when it did not before.

Still don't know about the issues with drivetrain smoothness though....

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.