Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought $300 bike off of craigslist. Obviously, it's not amazing. I switched out the 3x for a 2x, but not the shifter nor the front mech. It doesn't shift great. I was wondering if I needed to switch out my current components for new ones? Here's my current setup in the pictures. The link is for a potential replacement.

Costume accessory Carmine Bottle Plastic Latex Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset Bicycle frame

Would this work fine for my bike? Shimano Sora 3500 2X9 Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Road Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA

It seems shifter prices are astronomical, so is it necessary to replace mine?

Many thanks!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Yes, you need to get rid of the mountain bike derailleur and get a road double derailleur. Stay away from anything '11 speed' as the cable pull is different. No 5800-6800-9000. And replace that cable while you're at it. The derailleur you've linked should work fine.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Yes, you need to get rid of the mountain bike derailleur and get a road double derailleur. Stay away from anything '11 speed' as the cable pull is different. No 5800-6800-9000. And replace that cable while you're at it. The derailleur you've linked should work fine.
And the reason to get rid of the MTB front derailleur becomes obvious when you look at the inner cage of a double FD and a triple FD. They are very different on purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts