Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.
I have Domane 4.5 that needs drivetrain replacement.
At least chain and casette.
It has a Shimano R565 Crank, 105 casette and a 105 (5701) chain.
The shifters are Ultegra.
I will leave the crank, question is .. shall I replase with Ultegra grade casette or 105, also .. I have heard that KMC chains are better than Shimano chains .. What is the case here ?

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Hi guys.
I have Domane 4.5 that needs drivetrain replacement.
At least chain and casette.
It has a Shimano R565 Crank, 105 casette and a 105 (5701) chain.
The shifters are Ultegra.
I will leave the crank, question is .. shall I replase with Ultegra grade casette or 105, also .. I have heard that KMC chains are better than Shimano chains .. What is the case here ?
You will see minimal (if any) performance difference between 105 and Ultegra. You shave a few grams and spend more money. Your choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why the hell is Shimano doing all those bloody groupsets.
What is the ****ing point.
Why dont they just make Sora-105-Dura Ace .. and leave it at that.
Bloody idiots.
This crap makes me just want to go Sram.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bloody idiots.
Uhhhhhh.... What?

SRAM currently has Apex, Rival, Force, Force 22, Red & Red 22 all currently available. That's SIX starting on over 1k bikes.

In the same price range(fair comparison) Shimano has Tiagra, 105, Ultegra 6700/70, Ult 6800, DA 9000/70. As I count it that's FIVE, or one LESS than SRAM! I left 7900 off as Shimano does not seem to be actively producing it any longer based on new parts availability of non "wear" items.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uhhhhhh.... What?

SRAM currently has Apex, Rival, Force, Force 22, Red & Red 22 all currently available. That's SIX starting on over 1k bikes.

In the same price range(fair comparison) Shimano has Tiagra, 105, Ultegra 6700/70, Ult 6800, DA 9000/70. As I count it that's FIVE, or one LESS than SRAM! I left 7900 off as Shimano does not seem to be actively producing it any longer based on new parts availability of non "wear" items.
My ****ing god .. I thought Sram had only Apex, Rival, Force and Red.
What is the ****ing point of all those groupsets .. Idiots.
Like Mercx said .. dont buy upgrades, ride upgrades.
In the end its the engine that counts not the ****ing groupset.
**** Shimano and SRam.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
And **** Campagnolo too:

Mirage
Veloce
Centaur (with carbon counterparts)
Athena (with carbon counterparts)
Athena EPS
Chorus
Record
Record EPS
Super Record
Super Record EPS

And **** MicroSHIFT
non-series 8-speed
non-series 9-speed
non-series 10-speed
Centos
Bona
White
Arsis

My ****ing god I won't even calculate how many groupsets there are. Why the **** should we have drivetrain parts at all? Idiots. This makes me want to take off all my drivetrain parts. As long as we gots our engines thats all that counts.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
My ****ing god .. I thought Sram had only Apex, Rival, Force and Red.
What is the ****ing point of all those groupsets .. Idiots.
Like Mercx said .. dont buy upgrades, ride upgrades.
In the end its the engine that counts not the ****ing groupset.
**** Shimano and SRam.
Perhaps you should consider laying off the coffee for a few days?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Bloody idiots.

Yeah, Choice sucks. you must have a heck of a time at restaurants.
you could always pick a group set name out of a hat and promise yourself you'll only buy that line until Shimano is smart enough to listen to you and eliminate some options for customers.

·
Registered
910 Posts
For the cassette, 105-> Ultegra will save you a bit of weight. For the chain, I would stick go with Shimano 5701 or Ultegra 6701. In both cases, the price difference is not that much. IME, the Ultegra chains run a bit quieter than KMC. KMC may manufacture chains for Shimano (not sure), but they are not the same design. There is nothing to prevent you from using a master link on a Shimano chain.

·
Registered
572 Posts
And **** Campagnolo too:

Mirage
Veloce
Centaur (with carbon counterparts)
Athena (with carbon counterparts)
Athena EPS
Chorus
Record
Record EPS
Super Record
Super Record EPS

And **** MicroSHIFT
non-series 8-speed
non-series 9-speed
non-series 10-speed
Centos
Bona
White
Arsis

My ****ing god I won't even calculate how many groupsets there are. Why the **** should we have drivetrain parts at all? Idiots. This makes me want to take off all my drivetrain parts. As long as we gots our engines thats all that counts.
Bahahaha! So much awesome!

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I think the performance difference between a 105 and Ultegra cassette will be minimal. If you're the type that needs to get the higher level component for "psychological comfort", then get the Ultegra cassette. More $$$, but lighter and you'll feel good, vanity be damned.

I'm riding with a 105 chain, but I'm seriously considering a Connex/Wippermann chain after reading this Cozy Beehive: Bicycle Chain Stretch Test & Results. There's a Youtube video available here: Wippermann Chain Test Video - YouTube.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
That's some good information there...Still, Tour Quarterly didn't test the 10sx and Wippermann test didn't test the 5701. But the Shimano chain is half the price, so maybe I'll stick with the 5701 chain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.