Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the ruling on telling a fellow cyclist, from the drivers seat of a car, that he/she is invisible at night?

I ask 'cause earlier this evening I was driving along a rather dark stretch of city/residential roadway (two lanes, very few street lights, 30 mph, no shoulder/parking lane). Smack-dab in the middle of the right lane is a cyclist on a fixie with no lights/reflector/what-have-you. My first thought was "holy crap, I could have hit that guy" followed by "does he realize that he's completely stealth?". I opted not to shout anything at him from a moving car - my question is should I have?

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
uhh.......yeah!!?? Driver ettiquete be damned, that guy is trollin to be some car's late night supper. Of course, he might tell you to f*** off, but at least he was warned.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
The one time I tried to offer a suggestion to a fellow cyclist like that, hoping they'd know I was on their "team" (heck double Yakima roof rack on the car and all) I was most definitely told to go "f" myself.

Advice given from a car window rarely is taken in the spirit intended, probably because of too many bad motorist experiences... but anyhoo....

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
I've given up handing out unwanted advice. I live in the country, but near a 7-Eleven from which no-lights night riders weave their way home on the wrong side of a very dark two-lane road, wearing dark clothes and carrying their purchase in one hand while steering with the other. Talking to these guys and even handing out taillights a couple of times has changed nothing over the years.

I have to say that I wouldn't be so quick with the "natural selection at work" comment. I know reasonably intelligent people who feel that natural selection is at work every time they see a cyclist on a public road. On a certain level, their logic isn't all that flawed.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Why bother? The guy is one one the "walking dead" already.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Yelling anything at a cyclist from a car is not going to be received well. Imagine how you would take it. The guy is an idiot for riding at night with no safety gear, and there is no way he doesn't know it, so don't waste your breath.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I was riding to work one day this year at 5:30AM. A guy in a pickup truck pulled along side & told me that my tail light had slipped and was pointing at the ground. I thanked him profusely.

I don't try to correct other riders or teach them lessons unless they ask me directly. Lots of times, whether I'm on my bike or in the car, I'll see riders with no lights, riding on the wrong side. I say nothing. I figure they're just candidates for the annual Darwin award.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I was riding to work one day this year at 5:30AM. A guy in a pickup truck pulled along side & told me that my tail light had slipped and was pointing at the ground. I thanked him profusely.
Pointing out a problem that you didn't intend and didn't notice is one thing, and very helpful.

Mister Nolights was just asking for it. If he doesn't know, you can't probably can't teach him. Save your breath...

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I'd tell him and drive off.

Who knows, he might even think he had a light on.

Tonight I threw out a tail light that would shut itself off if you shook it. I got home from a ride (at dusk) and went to turn it off...only to find it was off. It had new batteries, and turned right on. One good shake and it turns off.

So, redundant tail lights for me.

I mean the guy is probably a bonehead, but who knows.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I work with college students - so everything is about being developmental & creating educational opportunities. I think I'm going to watch Nashbar/performance and wait for the little led flashers to go on sale and I'll pick a few up to hand out... that way if I do say something, I'm not just some idiot motorist but rather an idiot motorist bearing a gift.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
last nite i told them...

there were some pedestrians in our neighborhood- a family taking an evening walk. i could barely see them til i was right on them. i slowed and told them they needed to bring a lite or wear something reflective. they were cool about it. but they weren't cyclists, so they didn't have the attitude.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got stupid lost early this spring, moved to a new town went for a great ride in the rolling hills of my new home. Needless to say the 30 miles squeezed in with just enough time to spare before dark turned into 50 even though i had a map and dirrections. (bone head that i was missed my turn and proceeded to blissfully ride 10 miles the wrong dirrection with no shorter way back than just turning around, right at mile 15)

The extra hour and change made it go from getting back with the sun just starting to set to getting back in the compleat dark. Fortunatly the road was little traveled and i just pulled off when a car was coming. I made it all the way back and was standing in the MIDDLE of a lit intersection waiting for trafic when a guy came up behind me. I turned and so did he, he proceeded to yell at me telling me he didnt see me and i was supposed to have a light. I yelled back saying "sorry! I got lost, I usually do!" He went on saying how it didnt matter i should have a light and ranting at me for a while. I was amazed, I knew i was wrong and said it, and WTF if you cant see a pretty large guy in bright red kit standing in the middle of an intersection you have bigger issues.

wow this turned into an epic post. If you do say somthing dont get so worked up you cant hear that the other guy said he was sorry. If someone had offered me a blinkie that night i would have worshiped the ground they walked on!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tell 'em nicely

Tell him nicely and go on with your life no matter what his reaction is. He may or may not be a bonehead but what have you lost by offering a piece of good advice? Maybe after he calms down, he actually thinks about it and brings a light next time. Maybe he doesn't. Only costs you a few seconds of your time . . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.