Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
riding the brakeless wonder yesterday through downtown L.A. I'm approaching a bus at the curb picking up passengers so I veer left to go around him.

As soon as I get past the front of the bus I hear the driver gas it, so I stand up to keep ahead of him and Zing!, no chain. No brakes, no power, no nuthin. Just me coasting in the middle of the street with 2 busses now on my right and I'm trying to get over to the curb. I'm signaling right with my right arm. I can hear my chain dragging on the pavement. Super.

I finally get a hole shot and make it over, then had to use the ol' "foot on top of the rear tire" maneuver to stop the bike.

I was planning on riding another 12 or so miles home but I was pretty shaken up, called it a day and hopped on the subway.

I chalk that one up to a too-slack chain mixed with a quick sprint. I could have come out of it (or not) with much worse results. I'll take that as a freebie and watch my bike setup a little closer from now on. ;)

just happy to be here,
HW

PS - no I'm not putting a brake back on.

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
had the opposite happen to me once

I'd been commuting on my fixie for so long...one not-so-awake morning the fixie had a flat, so I just grabbed my road bike and headed out.

coming to a stop, I started to backpedal to slow myself....brain not working...hands are on the tops...why am I not slowing down??? Wham! I wedgied myself into the back of a truck at about 3 mph, felt like an idiot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You see, H-wood...

...that's why fixie riders are supposed to get Jedi training before setting out on the road. That way, you could've just applied the Force in a rearward direction and come to a stately halt without all this foot-on-the-rear-tire poopypants. Sheesh...:p

ECB

P.S. Glad you made it though all that in one piece.

P.P.S. As Yoda might have said, "Brake it I would." Good fixed-gear humorists are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hollywood said:
I was planning on riding another 12 or so miles home but I was pretty shaken up, called it a day and hopped on the subway.
PS - no I'm not putting a brake back on.

Too shaken-up to ride home, but not too shaken up to install a basic piece of lifesaving componentry once you got there...

Ah well, to each his own. Thank you, Charles Darwin.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Next to the idjits in PA riding their Harley's sans helmets. My kids refer to them as "organ donors."

·
Registered
841 Posts
Dude--I'm glad you're ok, but "shaken up" means that something in the back of your brain was saying "this sort of thing can go horribly wrong, so I'm sending strong visceral signals in an attempt to discourage it in the future." Listen to the old lizard brain--it don't know style from a hole in the ground but it wants to live and can help you do the same.

Let's say a brake seems useful only every third ride, really useful only every thirtieth ride, and critically useful only every three hundredth: is it really that heavy or that ugly that you don't want it when you need it? It's your can and your brain pan, but IMO public streets are not velodromes and I don't know anybody who can elbow a hummer out of his line.

Peace.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heh-heh. I enjoyed the blog too - especially your protest night. There are some strong opinions about brakes here eh? It seems that perhaps some people actually care about the safety and health of a fellow cyclist, and then there are a few who are just insecure or something and need to feel righteous and impose their views on others...don't let it stop you from posing... I mean posting.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Fred_Litespeed said:
It seems that perhaps some people actually care about the safety and health of a fellow cyclist, and then there are a few who are just insecure or something and need to feel righteous and impose their views on others
To each his or her own. I don't always wear a helmet, and I'm reminded quite often by people who purport to know better than I that wearing a plastic hat with lots of big holes in it will apparently save my life someday. I have riding buds that ride brakeless, and I never give them any sh!t about it, even though I don't understand why they wouldn't at least put one on their bike. You don't have to use it! I just think that it would be nice to have it available when you're about to be flattened by a bus.

·
Registered
496 Posts
djg said:
Let's say a brake seems useful only every third ride, really useful only every thirtieth ride, and critically useful only every three hundredth: is it really that heavy or that ugly that you don't want it when you need it? It's your can and your brain pan, but IMO public streets are not velodromes and I don't know anybody who can elbow a hummer out of his line.
Gem of wisdom from djg here, and a freebie too. Give it a little extra consideration.

Maybe look at it this way, when your cool fixie friends give you stick for having a brake, you can tell them the even cooler story of how you dropped your chain in traffic, and how, you did the math, and figured, ya know, just cos I have a brake now, doesn't mean I have to use it -- but it's there if a link explodes at the worst possible time.

Don't be fraid to start a trend, even if it's a one man trend.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Ditto. Cool blog. Hope yer around long enough to continue to develope it.:eek:

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Prolly not. But we can try.;) Maybe someday we can all be cool and run without brakes, too:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave_Stohler said:
OK, hope you repeat that the day you drop your chain going down a steep hill, just before you get run over by a bus.....

BTW, your a idiot.
awesome, thanks! Hope we ride together some day (if I'm still alive). I was just reporting the facts. For starters my '84 Trek I was riding has a q/r rear axle. That's my first problem. Wait, no my first problem is no front brake. OK my second problem is that the rear axle obviously has some slippage - I need a bolt-on.

I've made a choice to run my bike this way and I'm sticking to it for now. I don't ride fast and avoid steep downhills on this bike whenever possible. I know I know.....there's that one time that'll gitcha. "At least" 69 Iraqis died today according to the news. I guess you just never know, so might as well live it up. I was alive enough today to go for a nice long road ride and climb Fargo St. in L.A. and love every minute of it. Thank God for that.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=175635

BTW - it's "you're".

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Hollywood said:

BTW - it's "you're".
Ah, ignorant, opinionated and still has no sense of humor...

BTW, since you didn't get the "your a idiot" gag, you probably didn't catch the grammatical error within it as well. Not to worry-your braincase probably has at best a few weeks left intact, anyways......

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.