Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Yeti Arc X for my wife's cross season and I'm about to order a drop bar for her. I know what width to get for her from a bike fit (42), but I was curious on what dictates the proper size drop?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Rider preference.

I never ride in the drops during the race, so its a non-issue. Some people feel more secure grabbing the hooks, but may still want a slightly more upright position in which case shallow drops could be the better choice. Etc.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
I don't go in the drops often during a race, but I will for most off-road descents either training or during a race. I tend to think wider is better. I'm not particularly broad shouldered but I just put on some 46cm Salsa Bell Laps. They have flared drops, too. It may feel funny at first if one is used to a road bike, but wider bars really offer better control off road in my experience from both cross and mountain biking.

If road use is a priority for this particular bike, then it gets a little more complicated.

Others will surely disagree, but I'm sold on the wide bars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand the width issue with the bars. I'm curious about the drop size (the distance from the top bar to the drop). I see sizes ranging from 130mm to 145mm...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I may go to a classic drop bar this year, since my other bikes along with my single speed have all gotten more narrow over the past few years. Unkown on the drop but one thing I notice is that I jump in the drops a ton more on my cross bike than my road bike. Ergo bars are quite a bit more work to get into the drops, so I'm thinking that classics may just be the ticket on my cross rig this year. We'll see, either way I want something 2cm narrower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.