Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<table width="700" ><tr><td>Greetings class! In our last session we learned how to hack a Carradice bag to make it easier to remove and replace. Today we’re going to learn how to mount a DiNotte taillight to a rear rack.

The DiNotte is the Ferrari of taillights; however, when it comes to mounting on the bike it’s more like the Pinto.

That’s why I use the Flash Light Bracket from Velo Orange. The Flash Light Bracket consists of two standalone hooks that can be mounted to the rail of your rack via P-clamps (sold separately*).

Ok, class. Let’s begin. Please hold all questions until the end.

<hr size="1" width="600">

1) Attach the P-clamps to the top rail of the rack, then attach the hooks to the P-clamps.

2) You can angle the “assembly” so that the light sits away from the rack. This may add to your visibility. YMMV.

3) Depending on the thickness of your rack’s tubes (c0d3), the P-clamps may not fit too well. This may force you to put the bolts in at an awkward angle. It is therefore highly recommended that you use washers with the bolts (as you can see, I just found what I could).

4) Per the awkward angle of the bolts through the P-clamps, it may also be necessary to use longer bolts. At these angles, a standard bottle-cage bolt was too short.

5) When mounting the hooks, position the rear hook so that it’s higher than the front hook. This will angle the light at drivers’ faces. Also, as you can see, for maximum stability, the hooks should be spaced so that the outer edges of the hooks are flush with the outer edges of the light.

Gratuitous bike pron, No. 1.

Gratuitous bike pron No. 2.

<hr size="1" width="600">
Once the light is mounted, the cable will reach to the battery pack, which you can stash in a pannier or saddlebag.

You will have to squeeze the hooks so that they fight snugly around the light. Once you get a nice fit, to remove or replace the light it’s easier to slide it through the wide portion of the hook, rather than push it through the clamp.

While this may not be the most aesthetically pleasing solution, it's perfectly functional and allows you the flexibility of using different saddlebags and panniers without sacrificing the usability of a truly great taillight.

Tune in next time to see how methane leakage from a Snickers bar can be used to neutralize unbecoming tanlines from Rapha gloves.

*On my Tubus racks, the P-clamps with the orange pads seemed to work better.

**Results not typical. Actual mileage may vary. If your taillight stays on for more than four hours consult a physician immediately. Side effects may include loss of hearing, slow and torturous death, paralysis, runny nose and, in rare but dangerous cases, an eleventh toe.</td></tr></table>

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MB1 said:
Nice pix.

Very nice.

You use your cell phone for that?
:D
Yes! How did you know?

Tryin' to get a better grasp of flash technique.

FatTireFred said:
show me how to mount a messenger bag as a pannier, for those longer rides
Oh, that's easy. All you need is a bungee cord and an intern.

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Next time, try to stack a bunch of different sized, different colored fender washers under the bolt head. It'll really accentuate that urban style you're going after. Kudos on using one chrome and one black posivated bolt. Most people think that combo doesn't work, but not me. Mash-ups are money.

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thinkcooper said:
Next time, try to stack a bunch of different sized, different colored fender washers under the bolt head. It'll really accentuate that urban style you're going after. Kudos on using one chrome and one black posivated bolt. Most people think that combo doesn't work, but not me. Mash-ups are money.
Ohhh, motherf*cker.

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MB1 said:
This sure is a lot of fuss for a job that duct tape could do just as well.
Would you leave a $150 light on a bike when you lock it up? That's the thing ... duct tape, zip ties, a lot of good mounting options but none I could think of that would make it easy to detach the light and throw it in a bag.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Would you leave a $150 light on a bike when you lock it up? That's the thing ... duct tape, zip ties, a lot of good mounting options but none I could think of that would make it easy to detach the light and throw it in a bag.
Heck, I leave my $300 light on the bike at work..... :blush2:

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Nicely presented. I bookmarked this for when I'm older. Someday I'll have a rack. I hope the bolts and washers in the pics will still be available in the future.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Rare Earth magnets would have been so much cooler...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.