Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan some wheels for a probable all white Look 585. That's why the white dt mon chasseral is a favorite. I also like the idea of having something a little different from all the mavics and shimanos out there. I'm no expert, but while being light and stiff, it has 28 spokes front and rear and uses dt's reliable components. Does that make it a pretty durable every day wheel for a few rough roads as well?

There were some issues with dt's rr1.1 single eyelet rim, which the mon chasseral still uses front and rear. The wheelset has a 90kg limit, I'm 85kg now, but am 75kg (160lbs)and under at my peak (stopped riding for a while). The regular dt 1450 uses a rear with double eyelets and is a bit heavier, but isn't available in white, which is kind of important to me.

I want a durable every day wheel, that's also quite light and stiff for climbing. White rims would be great and a rare wheel is a plus. Is the dt mon chasseral a good choice? What's the latest with the single eyelet issue? Any other suggestions?

· Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've seen some of the threads, but a few are a couple of years old and I wanted to know what the latest verdict is about these wheels. Some were saying that only very heavy riders were having problems with the single eyelet rear rim. Others that it was actually the 32 hole rims which were more affected than the 28s. Maybe there were more problems with the rim on custom builds but not with the mon chasseral built wheelset. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows the latest info. Or better, if people have had these wheels a while and can testify to their durability and reliablity along with weight, stiffness and comfort.
Dumalam

· Increase your member
56 Posts
I've been riding the regular 1450s for about 5k miles and they have been great. I did have to replace a bearing in the rear but no big deal. I bought them used but haven't had to touch the spokes. For pre-builts, they are as good as they come.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Swiss Threat

dumalam said:
...I want a durable every day wheel, that's also quite light and stiff for climbing. White rims would be great and a rare wheel is a plus. Is the dt mon chasseral a good choice? What's the latest with the single eyelet issue? Any other suggestions?
The Mon Chass. is basically the same as Excel's handbuilt Swiss Threat but cost about $150 more. If the colors are important to you then pay the difference, plenty of people piss away more money for items that don't help performance and there is nothing wrong with paying a little extra to look good.

I got the Swiss Threat but beefed it up a little (32s) since they are my all around training wheels and go in the wheel pit at races. I had also heard about cracking but my research told me it was more a weight issue with Clydes saving grams on wheels instead of pushing away from the buffet. Mine are plenty stiff for climbing and like the Threat, the Mon has fairly standard components that could be easily replaced (although you may not find a white replacement rim).

Happy so far with a 1000 miles on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.