Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about building up a set of wheels with DT 1.1 rims and 240 hubs. I currently use campy record/mavic open pro in silver/silver as my clincher set. Im looking to build a clincher set in black/black.

Any feedback on the ride quality of the 1.1 rims compared to open pro and any feedback on the 240 hubs compared to campy record? What is the unique 'ratcheting' system they market on the hubs? Besides a somewhat lighter set up, will I see any increase in stiffness with these rims or ride quality?

I'd like to build them up with DT revolution spokes, anyone in the 200lb range use revolutions or is it not worth the trouble it may cause with wheels not staying in true?

THANKS for any feedback.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The DT 240 hubs use a unique "star ratchet" system. There are 2 ratchets that float inside the hub instead of a pawl system. The 240 has been a bulletproof hub for me for about 35k miles. I clean and relube the ratchet mechanism yearly and I did have the bearings replaced at about 30k miles.

You can see an exploded view of a 240 hub and disassembly instructions at:

http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/99a9c909-cc61-4fe4-b472-181391c86013/Datasheet.aspx

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
I really like the DT rims but i think that you should go with a different hub set.
If you want a hub that is a little cheeper and stiffer get the White Industries.
They build stiffer wheels because the flanges are much wider than those of the DTs.
Plus they are hand made in the US. That is kind of cool.
Also take a look at Kinlin rims.
The xr300 is 30mm deep, if you want something with a bit of a profile.
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
185 Posts
240s hubs are well made, long lasting hubs with a great company behind them. 1.1 rims are (in the double eyelet version) heavier than Open Pro's, but have not had any issues since the very early ones (single eyelet version, which used on the rear sometimes would crack around the spoke holes due to high driveside spoke tension).

From builders of a lot of this combination like Joe Young, it seems SuperComp spokes would be a better choice, I certainly wouldn't want Revolutions in such a wheelset, and I'm your weight range.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i think there are better stuff out there...

ciocc is on the money - the dbl eyelet 1.1 is around 460g - OPs are dbl eyeletted and lighter.

IMO, for the money - the current black record hubs are better than the DT240 hubs... the rear hub has only 10g in it (irrelevant) but the record has wider flanges and a loose ball setup. Dunno about u, but dt240 prices are ridiculous to me, and the fact u can get a quality italian made record hub for around $170USD is the icing on the cake!

·
Registered
370 Posts
wankski said:
i think there are better stuff out there...

ciocc is on the money - the dbl eyelet 1.1 is around 460g - OPs are dbl eyeletted and lighter.

IMO, for the money - the current black record hubs are better than the DT240 hubs... the rear hub has only 10g in it (irrelevant) but the record has wider flanges and a loose ball setup. Dunno about u, but dt240 prices are ridiculous to me, and the fact u can get a quality italian made record hub for around $170USD is the icing on the cake!

I think you're spot BUT the one big limiter for me is Record hubs only come in 32 hole. although 32f/32r would make a good set for 200lbs. I will also add that I picked up a set of 240s in December for rear=200 front=150 not too bad for a quality hub set and close to record.

One more item,the OP questioned using DT revolutions. I weigh a buck fifty and still had a couple headaches with a revolution wheelset.
Maybe on the front but at your weight,I would pass on the rear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm riding DT swiss 1450s which have a hub based on the 240 and they are laced to 1.1 rims. So far it has been bulletproof for me. They are 28 spoke wheels and I weigh 190 lbs and ride a lot of chip sealed roads with no issues

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a set of Dura Ace 7850 built with open pros ceramic rims 32 X with Revos on the front and rear NDS and comps on the DS. I am 185 lbs and find this wheelset quite comfortable and stiff. I have no flex in the wheels and feel this set to last me many years. I do plan on a build soon with the same hubs and rims, but with supercomps all around as that was a recommendation from DT Swiss. Have fun with your build as I am addicted to this hobby:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

·
Registered
370 Posts
pedalingsquares said:
I have a set of Dura Ace 7850 built with open pros ceramic rims 32 X with Revos on the front and rear NDS and comps on the DS. I am 185 lbs and find this wheelset quite comfortable and stiff. I have no flex in the wheels and feel this set to last me many years. I do plan on a build soon with the same hubs and rims, but with supercomps all around as that was a recommendation from DT Swiss. Have fun with your build as I am addicted to this hobby:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
These sound very sensible @ 185. In all fairness, my "headaches" with the revos were on the DS 3x of wheelset I built early in my wheel building learning curve.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Catapult said:
I'm riding DT swiss 1450s which have a hub based on the 240 and they are laced to 1.1 rims. So far it has been bulletproof for me. They are 28 spoke wheels and I weigh 190 lbs and ride a lot of chip sealed roads with no issues
I have a set of DT SWISS RR 1450 MON CHASSERAL wheels and indeed they are BULLET-PROOF. I love them. Super high quality for the price too.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I have a set 1.1's laced to 32 hole rear, 28 hole front 240s Hubs using competition spokes. I weigh in at 205lbs and these wheels have been great. I recently upgraded to HED Ardennes but the DT Swiss still get used on long rides.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've found Campy hubs to roll better, but not be quite as durable. I think it's pretty much the difference between a cartridge bearings and loose bearing, though. My 3 road wheelsets are built with 240s, D/A, and Record hubs...Record for roll, DT for durability (actually on my cross bike), D/A for everyday beater.

--edit--

Love DT rims. D/A wheelset is built up with some OG 1.1s and are still going good, and my cross wheelset is built up with some white 1.1s.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
jaxxon said:
Thinking about building up a set of wheels with DT 1.1 rims and 240 hubs. I currently use campy record/mavic open pro in silver/silver as my clincher set. Im looking to build a clincher set in black/black.

Any feedback on the ride quality of the 1.1 rims compared to open pro and any feedback on the 240 hubs compared to campy record? What is the unique 'ratcheting' system they market on the hubs? Besides a somewhat lighter set up, will I see any increase in stiffness with these rims or ride quality?

I'd like to build them up with DT revolution spokes, anyone in the 200lb range use revolutions or is it not worth the trouble it may cause with wheels not staying in true?

THANKS for any feedback.
+1 for DT 1.1 Rims and DT240 Hubs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went a little crazy...

but had a set of wheels built up with the following:

DT 190s hubs
Sapim db spoked
DT 1.1 rims

Front is radial, rear is radial non-drive and 3x drive side. Also running Veloflex blacks with latex tubes.

I have to say these wheels are SICK! Closest thing to tubies i've ridden. Not sure if its due to the ceramic bearings in the hubs or what but they actually feel like I'm accelerating when coasting. Thanks for the tips guys, highly recommend this set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts