Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of geared 240S hubs I bought with my Waltworks (singlespeed with sliding dropouts so it can be geared) and never laced up (100 and 135mm spacing, Centerlock disc).

I can't think of any use for the hubs on my current MTB's, but I could use a nice set of hubs for an old recumbent I'm trying to make roadworthy again.

According to the technical manual on dtswiss.com, there are only four parts that are different between a 130mm road Shimano hub and a 135mm MTB Centerlock. Both use the same drive side endcap, but different endcaps on the non-drive side (the other differences are in the freehub body ... I'd be using an MTB-style 9spd cassette, so hopefully those differences aren't important).

There appears to be plenty of room to shave 5mm off the non-drive side; the CL disc mount wouldn't be usable, but that is fine (it wouldn't interfere with the frame).

Is anyone familiar enough with the 240S hubs to know if I could simply swap the non-drive side endcap to turn a 135mm hub into a 130mm?

·
Registered
202 Posts
DT sells a 130mm end cap. if you use the 130mm end cap you will not be able to use the lockring for the centerlock rotor to cover the recess and prevent dirt/water/road crap from getting in. the diameter of the 130mm end cap is larger than the 135mm cap and the lockring will not fit over it. i switched a wheel over to 130 mm and haven't had any problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts