Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
century rider
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm rebuilding my rear wheel and I've narrowed my choice of hub to the DTswiss 240 and DA 9spd rear both in 28holes. My question is if the 240S hubs are worth twice the price of the DA?
thanks all!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Cost/benefit

It's an open question as to whether the DT hubs are higher quality (durability, rolling resistance). They are about 80 gm lighter than DA. Your call as to whether they are worth 2X the price. Very hard to put a value on these things.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I like DT240s well enough to have 4 pairs.

Twice as good as DA - not likely. The one pair of DA wheels I own will undoubtedly last forever. But so will the DTs. It's a toss-up. If weight is a decider, well, you can build a DT rear wheel at less than 800 grams, not sure you could hit that with a DA hub. (but then, I've never tried.)

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
battaglin said:
Hi, I'm rebuilding my rear wheel and I've narrowed my choice of hub to the DTswiss 240 and DA 9spd rear both in 28holes. My question is if the 240S hubs are worth twice the price of the DA?
thanks all!
Benifits of 240s over DA:

1. slightly lighter

2. arguably better seals

3. They are black, which is of course subjective.

4. They are special (less common)

·
Registered
75 Posts
battaglin said:
thanks all!
How loud are the new 240s? The old ones were loud and unless you regularily oiled the ratching disks, you couldn't sneak up behind anybody. I was using thicker oil, almost a grease to keep it quiet.

I'd go DA, just for that reason.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Can You Hear me Now?

bg. said:
How loud are the new 240s? The old ones were loud and unless you regularily oiled the ratching disks, you couldn't sneak up behind anybody. I was using thicker oil, almost a grease to keep it quiet.
My wife got new 240s last season and they are not noticeably louder than anyone else. If you want to sneak up on someone you should be soft pedaling rather than coasting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
If you want to sneak up on someone you should be soft pedaling rather than coasting.
I had a whole race team on DT built hubs complaining about it, hard to "soft pedal" at 75kph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts