Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new Canyon Aeroad CFR which happens to come with DT Swiss 1100 ARC 62 disc wheels. They appear to be pretty good wheels but after my second ride I started having issues. If I brake fairly hard (like having to turn at the bottom of a fairly quick descent) and make a right turn, I get a horrible screeching noise. This is not minor brake rub, it's full on ear piercing screeching. It goes away after a minute or so, but this clearly isn't right. I centered up the calipers and made sure the rotors were true. I also reset the pistons. Unfortunately, I had the same issue on the next ride. Just for the hell of it, I swapped over to my Zipp 303 NSW's and haven't had the problem. The weird thing is, i'm using the same rotor, cassette, thru axle, etc. that were on the DT Swiss. Does anyone have a clue whats going on and why this would happen with one wheel but not the next even when using the same parts? More importantly, what's the fix? I'd really like to try these wheels out.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,976 Posts
Contaminated brake pads?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish that was the case. Same pads and rotors being used on both sets of wheels. No issues on the zipps.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
You are taking off the rotor & cassette and moving them to the other wheelset? Because that is what you said.
If your not taking the rotor's off, you need to set the brakes and rotors via a standard procedure. Regardless, if you change wheels you'll probably have to redue it each time. You can search around here for it, but it's something like take it up to speed and lock them up about 3 times in a row in quick sucsession.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm transferring the rotors and cassette from each set of wheels. I center up the calipers and make sure there's no rub each time I switch. I issue occurs once I'm out riding and have to brake hard.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,976 Posts
You are taking off the rotor & cassette and moving them to the other wheelset? Because that is what you said.
If your not taking the rotor's off, you need to set the brakes and rotors via a standard procedure. Regardless, if you change wheels you'll probably have to redue it each time. You can search around here for it, but it's something like take it up to speed and lock them up about 3 times in a row in quick sucsession.
Even if you are moving the cassette and rotors, you still need to set up the brakes again. No two types of hubs are exactly the same within the narrow tolerance of the braking area on disc brakes. I found that out when I switched from a wheelset with Formula hubs to a wheelset with Shimano hubs.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
What I do with disks is put a thin piece of cardpaper (like a cereal box) under the non moving caliper, hit the brakes hard and tighten the mount down. That gives that non moving one a little more clearance.
But, I bet you'll have to bed the pads in every time you do this. Not something to do on a whim! That screech is not from the pad dragging, it's from not being bedded in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, sounds good. Hopefully I can fix this without having to buy new pads and rotors like one article mentioned. Of course, I could just stick to the zipps until it's time to get new pads and rotors anyway. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a new Canyon Aeroad CFR which happens to come with DT Swiss 1100 ARC 62 disc wheels. They appear to be pretty good wheels but after my second ride I started having issues. If I brake fairly hard (like having to turn at the bottom of a fairly quick descent) and make a right turn, I get a horrible screeching noise. This is not minor brake rub, it's full on ear piercing screeching. It goes away after a minute or so, but this clearly isn't right. I centered up the calipers and made sure the rotors were true. I also reset the pistons. Unfortunately, I had the same issue on the next ride. Just for the hell of it, I swapped over to my Zipp 303 NSW's and haven't had the problem. The weird thing is, i'm using the same rotor, cassette, thru axle, etc. that were on the DT Swiss. Does anyone have a clue whats going on and why this would happen with one wheel but not the next even when using the same parts? More importantly, what's the fix? I'd really like to try these wheels out.
I am having the same exact issue! Brakes are all good everything checks out. But especially down a steep decent I get squeal when they are hot and I am not pedaling. When I pedal the squeal goes away though and when i’m on the brake no squeal. It seems when I begin to put tension on the wheel the hub down the decent the squeal stops. I have been trying to figure it out and today it clicked that it must be the wheel. Have you found a solution besides changing the wheel?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,976 Posts
Same problem here.. any solution?
Could you elaborate?

As I stated up in Post #6, if you are changing wheelsets, you will need to set up your brakes again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont have another wheelset. I have looked closely.. the problem happens when Im on the saddle and when I put my feet on the pedals. When my left foot/pedal is at 6 o'clock position, then the brake is rubbing slightly.. this makes a very loud screeching noise. it seems that the bike/frame flexes at this position slightly and the brake pad gap tolerance is too narrow to accomodate the flexing/movement.

I am now centering the brake pads when im on saddle n at 6 o'clock position. this eliminates the noise. however, when im off saddle, the the pad is rubbing on the disc. so clearly this is not a solution.

If anyone can help, please advise the solution for this problem.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,976 Posts
I dont have another wheelset. I have looked closely.. the problem happens when Im on the saddle and when I put my feet on the pedals. When my left foot/pedal is at 6 o'clock position, then the brake is rubbing slightly.. this makes a very loud screeching noise. it seems that the bike/frame flexes at this position slightly and the brake pad gap tolerance is too narrow to accomodate the flexing/movement.

I am now centering the brake pads when im on saddle n at 6 o'clock position. this eliminates the noise. however, when im off saddle, the the pad is rubbing on the disc. so clearly this is not a solution.

If anyone can help, please advise the solution for this problem.
When you re-centered the pads, did you spread the calipers beforehand?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I did.. I actually brought the bike to 2 different bike shops.. but they all give up as they already adjusted the best they can do.. so I have to choose between rubbing during riding or rubbing when Im off the saddle. It doesnt make sense to me.. I paid so much for this bike so I hope there is a solution for this..

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,976 Posts
Yes I did.. I actually brought the bike to 2 different bike shops.. but they all give up as they already adjusted the best they can do.. so I have to choose between rubbing during riding or rubbing when Im off the saddle. It doesnt make sense to me.. I paid so much for this bike so I hope there is a solution for this..
Sounds like excessive frame flex. What bike is this? Are you sure the rotors are true?

·
Registered
4 Posts
its Aeroad CFR 2021. a brand new bike. rotor is in perfect condition. i even can see the rubbing without the wheel moving.. so there is no connection with the rotor and wheelset.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Usually the rotor is bolted to the wheelset hub.
Don't really follow what you are trying to say. Is the rotor rubbing on the piston side or other side of the rotor?
So the rotor is rubbing the whole time the wheel is rotated one revolution on the stand?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts