Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Old Skool
723 Posts
Bontrager or Velocity

I have a set of Bontrager select wheels with paired spokes. The rear rim cracked at the spoke holes. This is apparently a common issue. I acquired the wheel on a LeMond I bought on eBay, so a warranty return was not an option. At the time, Trek could not supply a suitable replacement (out of stock). The only other option that I was able to get was a Spartacus rim from Velocity. This is the Deep V drilled in a paired spoke pattern (24 hole). This had a different ERD than the stock rim so required changing the spokes. However the Spartaacus rim has worked out very well.

If you like doing your own wheel work, call the folks at Velocity to confirm the availability of the rim and then order it through your LBS. SpoCalc can calculate the required spoke lengths. Mine was a fun project.

However, the easiest fix would be to get an exact match for the current rim from Trek and just swap it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.