Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Overtaxed RBR member
475 Posts
jim392 said:
Im thinking of buying some custom wheels, i live in flat ft lauderdale so weight is not an issue, anyone own both of these hubs at one time or another which ones better?
DT Swiss are lighter, blingier:D , have better bearings, and are more expensive than Dura-Ace. I own the mtb versions of the DT hubs, and they have been bombproof for a year of single speed abuse. Build em up with a nice aero rim with bladed spokes and you are good to go.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
I would not say DT has better bearings than Dura Ace at all. The 7700 series and 7850 series rear hubs are just about the best hubs you can get. They are harder to find in a variety of spoke counts, but they do make them. Don't get me wrong, DT hubs are nice and have great bearings as well, but not better than Shimano.

If I had Shimano on my bike and thought about the two there is no comparison. Get Shimano. They are less expensive, more serviceable, come with excellent skewers and have better rear hub flange geometry which will yield a stronger, more laterally stiff wheel.

I'd consider DT if you were comparing to Campagnolo's offering.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yep... dura ace and record are high quality loose ball... DT is cartridge.... generally a loose set up has lower rolling resistence, but they are serviceable and should last a long time with a little care....

its a diff design to compare to...

the only plus for DT240s over shimano is weight... maybe 10g advantage on the front (for the radial version) and as much as perhaps 40-45g rear.... significant if u are a ww, but u said not...soo... if you're looking for 28h or 32h, DA is pretty available and more affordable..

then its a visual thing of course to consider...black dts w/ nice graphics (red mostly) or the polished silver DA....

if there is any chance u would run these on a campy bike, then dt makes sense of course..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.