Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with these rims? Heard here that there might be problems with the eyelets cracking. This is after I already ordered a set of wheels from Mike Garcia. Just wondering how widespread the problem is. I tried contacting him several times but no answer on phone or email.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I just got an email from Mike soon after my first post. He has had the eyelet problem with only two rims out of hundreds. DT Swiss does see it as a significant enough problem so that they are redesigning the rims a bit though. It seems to be a problem only with heavier riders.
I am not a Clidesdale but at 180 am not featherweight either. And given the road conditions (pot holes) in New Hampshire and Vermont where I ride, I decided to switch to Velocity
Aeroheads. There is only about a 25 gram wt. difference in the front, none in the back per Mike. Soo....am looking forward to trying them out once the waters recede.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
They are changing it, as the previous poster said, they are putting in double eyelets, which of course makes it stronger, but also adds quite abit of weight. Honestly it really kills the rim, imho, it's no longer weight compeitive with a openpro, or the velocity aerohead, now it's just a heavy box rim, alledgedly 500grams or so.

That said, I have the orig. version, so good so far.

·
Registered
838 Posts
There has been some rims that cracked around the eyelets but it is very few. Dt has changed the 32h rims to double eyelets and if you get a 28h rear it will have double as well. I have only weighed the 32h double eyelet ones so far and they were 478 to 482 grams.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
FTF said:
They are changing it, as the previous poster said, they are putting in double eyelets, which of course makes it stronger, but also adds quite abit of weight. Honestly it really kills the rim, imho, it's no longer weight compeitive with a openpro, or the velocity aerohead, now it's just a heavy box rim, alledgedly 500grams or so.

That said, I have the orig. version, so good so far.
The 28h will continue to be available with single eyelets (maybe 28h double eyelets as an option but I'm not sure). The new 32h comes with double eyelets and weighs about 470g per rim and the 36h will be discontinued.

EDIT: the 28h double eyelet version is answered above.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
divve said:
The 28h will continue to be available with single eyelets (maybe 28h double eyelets as an option but I'm not sure). The new 32h comes with double eyelets and weighs about 470g per rim and the 36h will be discontinued.

EDIT: the 28h double eyelet version is answered above.
The latest I heard was that 28 will eventually go to double eyelets as well. I didn't get a timeframe though.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The problems are more likely with high tension and stiff spokes, as this would increase the cyclic stress on the rims. If you are using Revs or CX-rays with normal tension you are probably ok. In my experience with other rims it takes several thousand miles before the cracks start, though.

·
Cyclist
233 Posts
I just had my rear Garcia wheel at the bike shop yesterday, and the guy noticed some hairline cracks. I weigh 160 and have had them less than a year.

It appears from this thread that the rim may be defective. Guess I'll be making a warranty inquiry next week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wheels just came in. I opted for the Aeroheads. Seems they have been around for several years, as opposed to the RR1.1's. They only weigh about twenty grams more than the RR1.1's and are about twenty bucks cheaper. So the price and weight is about the same and to me it is worth it knowing that the Aeroheads have the rep of being a bit more durable/reliable. The set, with White Ind. H1 Hubs and Wheelsmith spokes is 1488 grams. Will be busy working the next few days to try them, but look forward to getting out there on them next week!

·
Registered
281 Posts
prometheus said:
My wheels just came in. I opted for the Aeroheads. Seems they have been around for several years, as opposed to the RR1.1's. They only weigh about twenty grams more than the RR1.1's and are about twenty bucks cheaper. So the price and weight is about the same and to me it is worth it knowing that the Aeroheads have the rep of being a bit more durable/reliable. The set, with White Ind. H1 Hubs and Wheelsmith spokes is 1488 grams. Will be busy working the next few days to try them, but look forward to getting out there on them next week!
Are you talking about Velocity Aeroheads? How about the Aerohead OC (means Off-Center) for the rear wheel?

The Aerohead rims are very fragile and the Velocity hubs are crap. Velocity customer service is nonexistent - that is what I found to my everlasting detriment.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
dhtucker4 said:
Are you talking about Velocity Aeroheads? How about the Aerohead OC (means Off-Center) for the rear wheel?

The Aerohead rims are very fragile and the Velocity hubs are crap. Velocity customer service is nonexistent - that is what I found to my everlasting detriment.
I've built Velocity Aeroheads for some big guys and they stand up well. I can't speak about their stock builds or their hubs for I only use their rims. If built right, the rims are great.

-Eric

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Split reality

dhtucker4 said:

Can't comment on Velocity builds or Velocity hubs, but I have built many wheels with Velocity Aerohead, Aerohead OC, and DeepV rims and have had no problems. Good rim to work with and builds a durable wheel. How you have determined that Aeroheads are "very fragile" is a mystery to me.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
???

Not sure where you are getting the "Fragile" comments. Aeroheads have withstood my 190lbs for many, many miles. The rim design has been around for a long time and is proven (proven enough that companies like Cane Creek and Easton OEM the rim for their factory wheelsets).

I'd put the Aerohead up against an Open Pro any day...

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Thats a shame about the R1.1 rims. I was seriously considering having those built up, but opted for the Ambrosio rims instead. Heard lots of good things about the aeroheads though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
weiwentg said:
for everyone's info, there was a discussion on weightweenies recently. a DT Swiss rep replied and addressed some concerns.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16114
Before we get too balled up with horror over the heavier eyelets just understand that we're talking about the weight of a computer mouse or, if you have a light mouse, then the weight of the mouse and a ball point pen. The heavier eyelets will produce a more durable wheel and that's an improvement for everyone except hard core weight weenies. No one would be able to notice the weight difference in use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
cracks!!!

I've had my RR1.1 32 hole rear for about 10 months now. The wheel came a little out of true, took a look and discovered 5 different cracks around the eyelets. I'm bigger but not huge, 6'2 190lbs. The build quality was good (Gravey Wheels) but the rim is crap. I'll return it, but don't want to use another one. The hub is White Industries, I'll lace it up to a Velocity Fusion. I've used these rims in the past and they are the best in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.